Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one year old male boxer.  When he was about 7 months old or so, my dads rottie took a snap at him and did injure him a bit.  I had him on his meds for two months and the vet told me that the hair would grow back in time and not to worry.  Well, Atticus is now 1year and the hair has yet to grow in.  I mean there are some spots where the hair has come back, but the size of the bald area is REALLY noticeable.  I have talked to the vet many times since the incident and he tells me the same thing over and over.  I live in a small town, and there is only one vet here that really knows boxers.  Anyone with any suggestions?? I really would like to get more of the hair to come back but I have no idea where to start.  I have not found anything on the web that gives me much help. Any help would be so welcome...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I think hair wil grow back given a proper diet and if the immune system is adequate.   However if the wound ripped the hair folicals out then I am not sure if they would grow back.

·
Registered
291 Posts
when tyson was a pup he tried some escape moves under a fence and recieved some scratches, the vet said the hair would grow back , he is 18 months now and the are "dark" in color and i guess are scars now. Someone at the pet store recomended  neosporin, but it was too late, is this even safe to use on a dog?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Chloe has always had a hard time growing hair back. She still has bald spots  from a surgery she had 2 yrs ago. We have tried numerous things and nothing has worked yet..I've been doing some research on this due to her upcoming surgery that is to be done on her back and the Vet will have to shave a pretty big spot..but like you I have found nothing on the web for it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Let see if I can explain hair without it sounding totally stupid :)

Normally when there is a cut or injury the dermis layer of skin which holds the hair follicles, vessels, nerves and oil glands are damaged if they are damaged enough the hair will never grow back.  This is usually seen only in dogs with burns.  

The main thing with dog hair to remember is that, hair on a dogs body does not grow continously just in cycles.

The first phase the hair is produced, it grows in beside the old hair and the old hair is lost (shedding) The middle stage is normal replacement of old and new hair and then the final stage this is a "telogen stage"... the hair is resting and the follicle are dormant.
This stage can actutally last up to 3 years......Then start growing again.

I am sure this is why your vet kept saying to wait.....it can take a long time but hair will generally grow back (someday).....

Yes Neosporin can be used on dogs....Use small amounts on it because they will lick....licking it will not harm them, but they dont need large globs of it!  Small amounts 4 or 5 times a day....In general!

Hope that helps some

·
Registered
40 Posts
We have a bald spot on Zara that has grown quite big now because she keeps licking it.  It doesn't seem to be mange because there is no inflammation and originally I think she had a bit of a scrape.  From our googling it seems more like seasonal flank alopecia, which is suppose to be common in boxers.  It seems this is caused by not getting enough sunlight, so we are making sure she is out in the sun a lot more.  It could also be hypothyroidism which is when the thyroid is not producing enough hormones and we would have to get her blood tested.

From what I have read here, it seems like it could be quite a while before it grows back.  If someone knows more about this or would like me to take a close up picture let me know.  For now we are trying natural solutions.  Although it looks crap,she doesn't seem to be too disturbed by it

·
Registered
140 Posts
We had this problem with Blue when we got him.  He had a bite mark from one of his litter mates, and the breeder told us to keep putting Neosporan on it.  Well, a month later the spot grew bigger and bigger.  We kept taking him to the vet to find out what was wrong.  They did skin scraps, ring worm test, and everything else you could think of and found nothing.  Finally they just decided to put him on an Anti-Fungal lotion used for ringworm.  In a couple weeks his hair was growing back fine, and now is almost completely filled in.  I'm not sure if that helps at all, but Blue's spot started as a bite mark too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts