Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was able to walk both dogs by myself on 6 foot lead, flat collar (no harness) without issue!!   :rockon:

We normally walk them together with front loop harnesses however I really want to be able to take them for a walk on just flat buckle and lead.   I can walk both first thing in the am, and right before bed because they are tired and will not play.

So yesterday it was nice out.  I took them around my backyard over and over again without harness bymyself.  Hanna at almost 2 is getting better with pulling, but the little guy still tries to rip your arm off.  He will grab a stick and try to place chase with Hanna.  Not fun!   Also big thing - ditch all retractables when trying to teach two how to walk on loose leash.   The retractable does not give them any indication of slack or where they should be.  

So for about the 20 laps around the parimeter of my backyard we did great, and even had distractions.  We live on a main road so on the outline we had cars, people jogging, other dogs walking by and at the end of the property we had the commuter rail.    They realized that it was "WALK" time and not play time.   As soon as they pulled or they start to mouth play, the walk stopped and would not resume again until they were separated and the lead was loose.  About 6 laps into the 20 the realized that the reward for just walking was going forward, what they wanted to do.   Then also realized when they did something I did not want, everything stopped and they were not thrilled.  

So baby steps, but soooo glas that I was able to walk about 120lb of boxer by myself on collar and lead!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Way to go, Heather! I know how difficult walking two can be, for sure! Sampson is pretty good but gosh that little Lucy can pull...I think ours are similar in age, Sam is two this month and Lucy is approx. 10 mos.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
great job kash and hannah! and you too heather! :D that is great.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
That is a milestone! Congrats, and good job Kash and Hanna!  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
:clap: Well done Hanna & Kash...Oh believe me, I remember trying to walk 2 energetic Boxers....That is awesome Heather....Thankfully with Samson's advanced age I just one energy bundle to deal with and it makes walks much more fun....

G

·
0 Posts
lol, I wish I could say I walked two with NO issues...I walk two on a 4 foot leash with a small coupler...and regular collars...but we have Bo who is a world class puller and Jetta who is a world class instigator who is constantly trying to trip Bo, get Bo to play...and not to mention both dogs who think that if someone walks by...they HAVE to kiss them!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
You did good, Hanna and Kash.  Hope when I get my second it will go as well.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sounds like they did great....Fiona is about half and half on a leash she will usually do well, but then sometimes..... :twisted: the devil in her pops out....I cant imagine walking two of her :)  Great Job Hanna and Kash-Man

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You go girl!  You got it figured out on how to teach loose leash walking and understand it is a work in progress that takes a lot of time.

Proud of you!

Nano

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
WTG, that's awesome  :lol: Kelly and I have been trying to figure out the best way to teach ours to walk together, and you've given me some good ideas, Thanks  :D

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
WTG Hanna, Kash and Heather! That is quite an accomplishment. I can't wait till the day I can walk JUST Sadie without any "pulling" or harness...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for all the kind words.    Its not perfect but at least I know what I need to do to get them there.  Its funny because you see others walking their dogs and they walk so nice, and you are like  ~X(  ~X(   Why cant mine walk like that???   Its take sooo much patients.   And I must look like a moron walking 5 feet, then stopping, then walking, then stopping but if it gets it done, then so be it.   If they want to walk, then they need to know the pull is not walk, pull is stop!  

So good, luck, and I pray for myself for making more progress!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Its funny because you see others walking their dogs and they walk so nice, and you are like  at wits' end  at wits' end   Why cant mine walk like that???   Its take sooo much patients.   And I must look like a moron walking 5 feet, then stopping, then walking, then stopping but if it gets it done, then so be it.   If they want to walk, then they need to know the pull is not walk, pull is stop!  

So good, luck, and I pray for myself for making more progress!!
Congratulations!

I know what you are talking about ! Oh yes, I Know!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts