Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys yesterday morning our female had a swollen face on her left side we figured that she got stung by a bee because she's always chasing them and trying to catch them. My wife said she saw her scratching in the morning before she left for work. Then in the evening we noticed she had starting getting hives on her head just a couple spots and so my daughter gave her Benadryl with peanut butter. Now this morning the hives have spread all over maybe a total of 25 bumps. Is this normal? Could the peanut butter have caused more? Her face is no longer swollen. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hey guys yesterday morning our female had a swollen face on her left side we figured that she got stung by a bee because she's always chasing them and trying to catch them. My wife said she saw her scratching in the morning before she left for work. Then in the evening we noticed she had starting getting hives on her head just a couple spots and so my daughter gave her Benadryl with peanut butter. Now this morning the hives have spread all over maybe a total of 25 bumps. Is this normal? Could the peanut butter have caused more? Her face is no longer swollen. Thanks for your help.

Might just take a little bit for the hives to disappear. Zuke had an allergic reaction once(still not sure from what) used benadryl for 3 days before it finally started to subside.

Highly doubt its peanut butter if you have given it to her before. Just make sure its natural peanut butter and has no xylitol.

If the only reaction is hives and she is acting completely like herself, I would give it a few days to see what happens. If you have a vet close by, you can always go that route too.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
OK the good news ... is "whatever happened??" Your dog is going to be fine. If he were to have had a severe reaction to a bee sting??? Unless you were right there and happened to have an Epi Pen on hand ... it would have been to late!

I have first hand knowledge on that one. That was Bella a Vet Tech Boxers, and Bella, was in the backyard at work when she got stung! All hands on deck and they could not save her. She was fine a half hour before and when the tech checked on her again 30 minutes later ... she was gone. :(

Some Boxers and insect stings ... don't do well! Your guy seems to be in the "prefered group" much like my "Struddell" a lack of good sense but I got's "insect resistant genes!

That group tends to swell up like the Michelin Man??? And aside from that obvious change in look, they don't seem to care??? I saw it once with Struddell. We came home ,she comes to greet us and I think well she looks a little odd but seems fine??

So back in the yard to play, I call her 15 minutes, later and this time .. there is no doubt her face was hugh!!! But she's still smiling??? We freak and off to the Vet we go!!! The vet had no idea and said most likely a bee sting or an ant bite??? He gave her a shot of Benadryl and said she'll be fine and she was. :)

You can take him in if it will make you feel better but most likely if there was gonna be a "severe reaction" I'm pretty sure it would have already happened???

If nothing else he "should have learned" that "bees are not to be screwed with it!!" But he's a Boxer so maybe not??? They can be a rather "Pig Headed" lot. Still whatever it was that my Struddell did ... she only did that once ... so you know "Lesson Learned!" :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, really appreciate the help. My little girl will be very happy as well.

They certainly are a stubborn breed, any advice on how to get them to stop going crazy over birds? Lexi finally grabbed one mid flight and gave it to Brutus as a gift which he seemed to enjoy as a pre dinner snack.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

They certainly are a stubborn breed, any advice on how to get them to stop going crazy over birds? Lexi finally grabbed one mid flight and gave it to Brutus as a gift which he seemed to enjoy as a pre dinner snack.

LOL ... now we are back in my "Wheelhouse!" :)

That I know now, is "Prey Drive!" And it can get them in trouble, if it is allowed to go uncontrolled! But before I start with the recommendation bit. I'll ask questions. :)

And the first one would be, how bad is this situation?? Does she walk well on leash and if she were walking well on leash and saw a Bird, pop up out of nowhere?? What will she do?? If she is likely to bolt after it?? Then yeah you have a problem????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no she does well on the leash, she shows interest in the ducks and squirrels if we walk to the park but not to the point where she's trying to get after them. It's mainly on our property she just goes a little nuts with anything that flies, she'll chase after flies, bees, butterflies, and birds. But I swear those damn birds will do it on purpose! Dive bomb even at us but especially at the dogs, I tell my wife that they swoop down off the roof and do a fly by and tease the dogs and then sit atop the fence looking and laughing ( chirpping) at the dogs. I even think they've talked the humming birds into joining them.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Maybe get a flirt pole and use it in your yard. Kind of redirect the obsession with birds into a fun game with the flirt pole. If she loves going after birds, I'm assuming she would love that. Great exercise too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe get a flirt pole and use it in your yard. Kind of redirect the obsession with birds into a fun game with the flirt pole. If she loves going after birds, I'm assuming she would love that. Great exercise too.
What's a flirt pole?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts

I hope your baby is better by now.

You have some good data above. Jax had something like this when he was about 7 months old or so...we never did find out what caused it. He didn't swell really, but man did he get hives all over him. He's brindle so you could mostly see it in the sunlight on his sides. We went back and forth to the vet probably about 8 times over 2-3 days. They treated him with antihistamines and watched him, the hives went away, we went home and a while later they were back- until they stopped coming back.

To this day we can only conclude it to have been some kind of bite- insect probably. It has been about 4 years since the episode. He's never had one since. It's the same backyard, he's not the only boxer in the yard- then or now...random.

I'd recommend getting a dosing chart if you can from your vet. We have one that has Mg by weight for benadryl, claritin and a couple of other meds. You never know what these crazy kids will get into!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts