Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

new to this forum and looking for some advice/info.  Our boxer Trigger has had hives for about a month now.  The vet gave him antibiotics and prednisone, but after completing the meds it not only hasn't gotten better but worse.  

He has no other symptoms, (itching or difficulty breathing).  

He goes to work with my husband and has free reign to run in an avacado orchid so we think it could be insect bites but to remain there for almost a month 8O  

He has been eating royal canin food for boxers and we are now thinking of just making him his food to try to rule things out.  We will see the vet again tomorrow for more "drastic measures" which will be more meds :roll:

Has anyone had this happen and could this maybe be anything worse?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have a boxer that also gets the hives at times.  They can seem to last a long time and I do believe he has had them that lasted over a month.  Fortunately my dog's are not too itchy either.  We have never used prednisone or antibiotics for him, I don't use prednisone, except for major health threat issues.  You can use oatmeal baths, that is my personal best choice. First you might want to bathe him in a non soap shampoo or hypo allergenic one.  You can get the people bath soak and mix it with water and pour over him leaving him to stand in shower 10 minutes before blotting it off.  This can be done twice a day.  It is not harmful if it gets in eyes or they accidentally lick it off.  His is usually caused by bug bites also, we believe.  It is hard to know though.  My holistic vet said that it was from flea bite allergy so I have since used Frontline Plus on him.  I would rule out food allergy also, as you are going to check on it.  

You can also use a homeopathis remedy called Apis for him.  It is available at a true health food store, is very inexpensive and benign. I will have directions on the bottle.  It has to be given 20 minutes before or after any food or water.  You are not supposed to touch it with your hands as it will ruin the effectiveness.  I put it in a small little glass bowl and crush the pellets with a glass and then pour into a small folded piece of paper and pour into his mouth.  You do this untill conditions subside.  I can't say that this treatment has been a major help with mines symptoms, but it is very cheap and benign and I still give at the first sign of the hives.

Mine just happens to have some again the last couple of days.  I'm guessing due to knat bites.  It is that time of the year again for him.  Benedryl can help with the itching if that is part of it.  Dose is 25 mg per 25 pounds of dog.  I buy the bottle of the capsules so I can give mine 2 1/2 caps as he weighs about 65 pounds.  I give this every 12 hours during allergy season or hive problems.

They can take a long time to go away after an "attack" of them.  They just need to dry up and flake off.  As long as he isn't itching crazily, count yourself lucky.  A skin problem is a lot better thatn a lot of problems dogs can get.  I do understand your concern over it though.

Wishing you luck with treating this.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum..I really don't know much about hives with dogs, but Nano has given you some excellent advice..I'd try that....Keep us posted on how it does...

·
Registered
948 Posts
Welcome.. I know nothing about hives either.. hope he gets better soon..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advise and the welcomes. :D  :D  :D

We made him his first batch of home made food and let me tell ya, such a happy dog.  He must have thought it was his birthday or something.

If it isn't his food then next week he will  stay home with me while my DH goes to work and if they go way then we know it is something he is getting into at the orchid.

My DH said today he couldn't find him and he was out running around getting into who knows what.  

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Basically hives is just an allergic reaction to something that the body doesn't like. The body is just trying to rid itself of the irritant by releasing the substance thru the skin. They are harmless and I don't believe that they are related to anything more serious other than the look of them and sometimes the itching, although mine rarely has much itch with them. So I don't get freaked out about them it just is something we live with at our house.

Nano

Oh, welcome by the way.  This is a nice forum with nice caring people and lots of good advice that comes from experience.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
This forum is the best; there is so much helpful information.   Welcome.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Feel better Trigger.

My vet told me to use baby shampoo for Jessie instead of the dog shampoo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I could wash Trigger in the tub but he refuses to go into the bathroom.  I could tug and pull on his collor and he just won't go into the bathroom,  so he'll always have to have a cold hose bath.

The other day we had friends over for a BBQ and we all have new babies, when my friend saw Trigger she kind of freaked out (understandably) and yelled at him to get away from her kid.  he was just sniffing and is so mellow around kids esp.  babies.   I got a little defensive telling her it was just hives and she says "how do you know".  I know he looks like he has a case of chicken pox but come on.

So yes they look worse than I think they are.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mix up your Aveeno oatmeal bath with water and pour over him covering him all over with it.  You should be able to do that out in the drive and let him stand 10 minutes and blot him dry and take in house to dry off so he doesnt' roll.  I use lots of treats to get mine into the shower and to tolerate baths.  

Nano

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I don't have any experience with this but hopefully you get lots of help from other people!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My white boxer Trace was all puffed up when i got home. One eye was swollen almost shut. the vet said to give some Benadryl  that seemed to help some. Then i let him outside and now his other eye is all swelled up :cry:  i feel so bad for him. however hes not itching and he still wante to play fetch. I guess ill have to keep an eye on him. I did do some weed wacking for the first time this year the other day so it might be a plant reaction

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...we found out today that they were NOT hives but lymphoma 8O  of the skin.  The vet totally thought they were hives too but when we went back last week he said it was "usual" and took a biopsy.

The cancer is so aggressive he doesn't have long.

My husband who hasn't been away from him longer than a day in 9 years is totally beside himself

here he is

he is such a lover and such a good dog........

We just want him to be comfortable

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
He is so beautiful!  Reminds me of my boy in that face.

We are so very sorry to hear of the news.  He, hopefully, will feel pretty well most of the time.  Dogs don't know they are sick, like we do when a doctor tells us.  They are very stoic and brave and enjoy life by the moment. They are not aware of any time limits and do not think of things in the future. Any of my dogs who were diagnosed with something similar did and felt very well until the very end.  So just try to stay in the day and enjoy the moments during it and spoil the heck out of him as you usually do. Take him and do all his favorite things as often as you can.

Please know that we are thinking of you and sending you lots of good energy.

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Geesh...I just caught this thread. I am so sorry to hear the news about Trigger. Enjoy the time you have left together and spoil, spoil, spoil, him rotten. Give him whatever he wants.
I am sending nothing but comfortable vibes Triggers way. I hope he has more better days than bad. Trigger is very handsome. Give him some gentle hugs from me....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear this...He looks wonderful and I don't see a whole lot of grey on him either! Like Nano said, dogs don't realize they are sick, they just go on doing what they like..We are the ones that feel their pain..Enjoy every day you have with Trigger and know that we all are keeping you in our thoughts...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Trigger; you are in our thoughts.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts