Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blaze has what appears to be hives or welts all over his body. For background this is the second time it has appeared, the first time was a couple of months ago. I thought it was maybe fly bites the first time because he was outside playing with the kids for about 3 hours and when I got home I noticed them right away. I took him in the house and crated him and they started going away, by the next morning they were completely gone.
This morning when I got up he had bumps all over him again, just wondering if anyone has had this experience before. I will be taking him to the vet tomorrow if they haven't dissappeared.
It doesn't seem to bother him at all, no scratching, healthy appetite, firm stool, still full of energy and playful.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Re: hives or welts

Sure sounds to allergies to something, question is.... what? You could maybe try Benadryl check the health forum for dosages. Sophie used to have a reaction to fresh cut grass and it was a big help. Let us know how it turns out with the vet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks, that what it sounds like to me too. I just can't figure out what it could be, he was in the house with me all day yesterday.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Hanna did a post recently about bugs moving inside as the weather is cooling..Could be spiders....Try the Benadryl tho, that should help...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks Willow, I just read her thread and that sounds exactly like what Blaze has. I'll try the Benadryl and hopefully in the morning he will look normal again.
Thanks for the responses everyone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just got back from the vet's, he gave Blaze a cortisone shot and said to keep giving him Benadryl. Still not sure what caused the reaction.
Blaze is 8 months old today, height at withers = 22 inches, weight = 54.2 lbs.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

Isis gets that..our vet was really nice said listen you can spend thousands on allergy tests to find nothing which happens alot...he said he has boxers also and really did know alot..
this was almsot 2 yrs ago...we realized that it seemed to come on after being outside and pretty sure its grass..fresh cut

we use benedryl and genesis spray which u can buy at the vet ITS GREAT !!!!!

she still has it happen every so often..a few benedryl and some spray and shes good the next morning..sometimes takes 2 -3 days if bad enough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts