Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 year old boxer started to get hives about a year or so ago. When the vet saw him he said it was hives and suggested Apoquel. Other than being super expensive it's also not good for the immune system. My previous boxer was on it and about a year later died of cancer. I don't want to go that route with my current boxer. He doesn't scratch them. He doesn't seem to be bothered by these hives at all, but I would love to find a solution to get rid of them.

I switched him to a raw diet 6 mos ago and started to supplement OMEGA 3's a few weeks ago. The raw diet has yet to have an impact( 6months) -. Maybe the Omega 3's will help he's only been on that for about 3 weeks.

I would love any suggestions. I have washed his bedding with sensitive skin detergent. He doesn't play much in the yard. It's winter anyway. I don't spray the back yard. I guess it could be an allergy to grass, but seems odd that it took 3 years to become an issue. The first 3 years he didn't have any hives. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

· Administrator
7,237 Posts
If it’s hives, then Benedryl should clear it. 1mg per 1lb of body weight every 8 hrs. If the hives has been there for a while, it can take quite a bit of time for the histamines to leave the body. Sometimes steroids are required. Perhaps a referral to a dermatologist is needed?

· Registered
1,743 Posts
I use cytopoint for my dog with environmental allergies much safer than apaquel and one shot can last up to 3 months. I have a question though when you bath this dog which direction do you towel dry? If you rub against the hair it drives the hair into the skin making bumps they should be dried with the lay of the hair

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take him to the local groomer so I'm not sure. I'll make sure to request that at next appointment. Something I never thought of, thanks!

I use cytopoint for my dog with environmental allergies much safer than apaquel and one shot can last up to 3 months. I have a question though when you bath this dog which direction do you towel dry? If you rub against the hair it drives the hair into the skin making bumps they should be dried with the lay of the hair

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My vet did mention Benadryl but I let it go through one ear and out the other. My previous boxer had allergies so bad, and they always suggested Benadryl (prior to apoquel )and it never did anything. Obviously each dog is different so I should have considered it. My current boxer weighs 85 lbs so I'm giving him 75mg 3x per day starting today. When you say it can take some time to clear, how long could that be? I want to give the Benadryl a fair shot before I take him to a dermatologist and say " it didn't work" - Hopefully it does though. that would so so fantastic. I appreciate your response. Thank you.

If it’s hives, then Benedryl should clear it. 1mg per 1lb of body weight every 8 hrs. If the hives has been there for a while, it can take quite a bit of time for the histamines to leave the body. Sometimes steroids are required. Perhaps a referral to a dermatologist is needed?

· Administrator
7,237 Posts
My vet did mention Benadryl but I let it go through one ear and out the other. My previous boxer had allergies so bad, and they always suggested Benadryl (prior to apoquel )and it never did anything. Obviously each dog is different so I should have considered it. My current boxer weighs 85 lbs so I'm giving him 75mg 3x per day starting today. When you say it can take some time to clear, how long could that be? I want to give the Benadryl a fair shot before I take him to a dermatologist and say " it didn't work" - Hopefully it does though. that would so so fantastic. I appreciate your response. Thank you.
I’d give 3.5 tablets every 8 hrs for the next 5 days. Always give with food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts