Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My 1 year old got a lot of hives while on vacation in FL swimming in the ocean. We brought him to the vet and we were prescribed Cefpodoxime, because the Benadryl simply did not work. Now the hives are gone but in all those places he is developing bold spots 馃槶 And a lot of dandruff. We even checked him for ringworm just in case but thankfully he does not have it. Has anyone dealt with this type of issue? I am trying to avoid putting him on steroids.
We use CHI shampoo for puppies (sulfate and paraben free).

Registered
Hi there, I am not super experienced but our male fawn was going through a similar bouts with his skin and coat. I never saw hives but he developed bald spots and dandruff at times. Seemed to always have a little something going on. Then I read somewhere (maybe here I can't remember) about chewable pro-biotics and I just bought the best seller at amazon, (now I would try somewhere local) and we started adding almost a whole can of organic pumpkin to his food per day. I have to say his coat and his poop consistency were amazing after that, for the rest of his life. Might be worth a try.
Rick

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, I am not super experienced but our male fawn was going through a similar bouts with his skin and coat. I never saw hives but he developed bald spots and dandruff at times. Seemed to always have a little something going on. Then I read somewhere (maybe here I can't remember) about chewable pro-biotics and I just bought the best seller at amazon, (now I would try somewhere local) and we started adding almost a whole can of organic pumpkin to his food per day. I have to say his coat and his poop consistency were amazing after that, for the rest of his life. Might be worth a try.
Rick
Thank you! Will try.

Registered
We had another poster who talked about something similar after a day at the beach. Took several vet visits before they found the culprit. Turned out when they were drying the dog off with a towel they were actually pushing sand into the pores. Might be something to look into.

Registered
I actually had that happen to me after giving a bath I dried one of my females too hard with the towel and it caused some little bumps I think it was a medicated shampoo I got from the Vet I had to use to get rid of it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually had that happen to me after giving a bath I dried one of my females too hard with the towel and it caused some little bumps I think it was a medicated shampoo I got from the Vet I had to use to get rid of it.
Thank you, I鈥檒l check back with our vet.

Registered
Hi everyone. My 1 year old got a lot of hives while on vacation in FL swimming in the ocean. We brought him to the vet and we were prescribed Cefpodoxime, because the Benadryl simply did not work. Now the hives are gone but in all those places he is developing bold spots 馃槶 And a lot of dandruff. We even checked him for ringworm just in case but thankfully he does not have it. Has anyone dealt with this type of issue? I am trying to avoid putting him on steroids.
#Boxerlove,
#Boxerlove, there is a wandering nerve that begins in the brain stem and travels from there called the vagus nerve.It does a lengthy list of tasks some of which are controlling the digestive system and is a major constituent of the neural reflex mechanism. A deficiency of thiamine needed for it's proper function and magnesium needed to convert thiamine into it's active form results in many health problems that are often misdiagnosed. I encourage you to research the vagus nerve for your boxer's immune response in addition to behavioral and digestive health. Focus on the many forms of thiamine and their pros and cons. As your boxer enters his later years your research today will pay dividends. Also search on "canine Brazil nuts cancer" to become familiar with the form of selenium in the Brazil nut. Always consult with the vet before giving your boxer any supplement.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
#Boxerlove,

#Boxerlove, there is a wandering nerve that begins in the brain stem and travels from there called the vagus nerve.It does a lengthy list of tasks some of which are controlling the digestive system and is a major constituent of the neural reflex mechanism. A deficiency of thiamine needed for it's proper function and magnesium needed to convert thiamine into it's active form results in many health problems that are often misdiagnosed. I encourage you to research the vagus nerve for your boxer's immune response in addition to behavioral and digestive health. Focus on the many forms of thiamine and their pros and cons. As your boxer enters his later years your research today will pay dividends. Also search on "canine Brazil nuts cancer" to become familiar with the form of selenium in the Brazil nut. Always consult with the vet before giving your boxer any supplement.
Thank you! I will look into this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts