Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We woke up this morning and Milo covered in Hives. I have him some benadryl this morning and they seemed to go down, we left for 3 hours, came back and now they seem worse than before. I gave him 2 benadryl at 10am, it's 4:32pm right now. I have NO idea what it could have been. We have not changed one single thing around the house from yesterday to today. He is not acting any different, still hyper, still eating, solid poo, drinking water, not itching, etc. How long do I keep giving benadryl before I take him to the vet? I know 1mg per lb every 8 hours...but, i just don't know how long to do that before I take him to the vet.

poor big dog :(

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
maybe he got bit by something? jeez ...i cant tell ya exactly on the benedryl but i think by tomorrow you should see better or worse? not sure...we have that happen with Isis...we do the bene. every 6 hours though...

hes breathing ok right? i know you would have said that..just askin..do they seem itchy? or hurt?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't seem itchy or hurt or anything like that. The only time I've noticed a difference in his breathing is when he was sleeping earlier he was noring REALLY loud and he usually doesn't snore. I woke him up just to make sure he wasn't having problems breathing and he stopped snoring as soon as I woke him up. Maybe I'll give him another one here in 15 minutes or so.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would give the 2 benadryl every 6 - 8 hours.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
In the summer for a few months Kiah gets hives, it is something in the grass and seems to be worse when there is dew on the ground.  It takes her hives about 3 days to go away.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Aww poor Milo  :( I don't know about how long to give the Benedryl for...someone on here might; Sharon? Or maybe you could call the vet as well, just to be sure? Good luck and I hope it gets better soon! Hugs to Milo

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Poor Milo! I hope he gets better soon.
Phoenix gets them bad in the spring/summer from mosquitos and flies. We used Advantix last summer and it worked wonders for her!

Benedryl is twice to three times daily at about 25mg for every 25lbs I do believe. Sharon would be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Awww, poor Milo...The Benadryl should be fine for ahile, but if it seems like it's getting worse, a call to to the vet wouldn't be a bad idea...Nano had a good idea tho, a soothing bath might make him feel better

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That is exactly what Tyson had/looked like a month ago when he got hives.  We had no idea what they were from, his vet said he probably got bit by a bug/spider.  We took him to the vet right away, he got some shot & meds, and he cleared up the same.  I didn't want to wait.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I also forgot to mention that when Phoenix used to get them we would wet a towel and drape it over her back to cool her down a little.
Hows Milo getting along today?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You can give the Benedryl actually every 4 to 6 hours.....so 3 times a day would probably be better...I would look to see improvement within 24 hours but it can take a few days for them to go down....the main thing is they should be getting better and not worse....also, make sure he is eating and drinking and there are no hives around the throat area or swelling in the throat...(where you would think tonsils would be)....if so...you need to go ahead and go to the vet for a shot which will take care of it faster!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He seemed better this morning...from what I could tell they were almost all gone. He slept all the way through the night, so it's not like he was bothered by them. I'll probably give him one more dose this afternoon just to make sure he's not uncomfortable.

Thank you all for your concern, that is why I love this place...everyone reacts like it's their own dog in need of help. I appriciate it tons!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts