Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halloween is such a fun time of the year, but sometimes we forget that it isn't so much fun for our pets. I have a story about a dog lover that found out the hard way that her dog was not a big fan of spooks and ghouls.

She had her dog at the door with her when some trick or treaters arrived and thought her dog would love greeting the children as well. However, the roaring frighteningly dressed people spooked the poor little Pomeranian and sent him running out into the street, where he was hit by a car.

Fortunately, the little dog just had a bump to his right hind leg. He would be fine, but needed to rest for a few weeks and not put much weight on it. He got better, but this year he will be safe in his crate when the trick or treaters come calling.

Lucky dog!!!

Also keep your candy out of reach of those counter surfers!!!!  No choc for them!

Don't forget to keep your dog safe on Halloween!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Sharon! I'll have to remember to keep an extra tight grip on Sadie's collar when the come a knockin! Because I'm not sure how she'll react to all the crazy costumes...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Great reminders Sharon! THANKS.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Thanks Sharon, I am keeping Kiah in her crate because she saw some halloween decorations on a house while we were driving by; her hackles went up, she was growling and barking at them.  Definately don't want her to freak out, hurt herself or scare the kids.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Also remember for those who are giving out candy or have children that will have candy that Chocolate is toxic to dogs! make sure your candy is out of reach of our furry friends!

Thanks for the story sharon, i would love to take the girls on our walk around the neighborhood, but i know they wouldnt like it one bit so they will be safe in their kennel while we are out.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Great reminder!!!

Hubby's going to try  and see how Odin does but the other two will be crated. We're going to have Odin in his Super Dog costume and on leash attached to hubby's belt loop so hopefully he can be a part of the fun... and what kid doesn't love to see animals all dressed up! LOL

If it doesn't work out the first couple of times... in the crate he goes... but when we try... he'll definitely be on his leash!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Great reminder Sharon, thanks for that....I used to put Buck & Tia in the back, mostly cos it was easier, less distractions...Samson loves the trick or treaters, we actually took him with us one year when one of Marq's helpers came by with his little girl...Angel, well we shall see, but I doubt we will get many, last years we had 2.....Very quiet out here!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Thanks for the tip!  We get a ton of kids in our neighborhood...went through 6 bags of candy last year!  This year shall be interesting.  Lola will be too excited to stay in her crate....so I'll have her leash on and she'll be attatched to me!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Good tip.  Like I said in another post, I don't celebrate Halloween.  It'll be the dogs and me watchin tv with the outside lights off.  12 gauge pump by the door if some kids decide they wanna try to tp the yard while I'm awake.  The sound should spook them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts