Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the holidays get close, thought it would be fun to share some of your favorite recipes that you like...I have 2 that have become rather popular around here...I love sweet potatoes and was looking for something new and go tthis from my mother years ago

Pineapple sweet potato bake

23 oz can sweet potatoes-drained
3 tblsp margarine, softened
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz can crushed pineapple-drained
1/2 c orange juice
1/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c chopped pecans

Heat oven to 350(or you can microwave this) Grease 1 qt casserole. In bowl, mash potatoes with margarine and salt. Add pineapple & orange juice. Blend well. Spoon into casserole. Sprinkle with brown sugar & pecans. Bake for 25-30minutes, or microwace on high 5-7 mins.

If you are making a ham, this is a great side dish....

Easy potato bake
1 2lb bag hash browns(i like o'brien) thawed
1/2 c butter melted
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1/2 c chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 12oz carton sour cream
2 c grated cheddar cheese
2 c crushed corn flakes
1/4 c melted butter

Stir together potatoes, 1/2 c melted butter, salt, pepper, onion, soup, sour cream and cheese. Pour into a 13x9 buttered dish. Top with crushed corn flakes. Drizzle with 1/4 c melted butter. Bake at 350 for 1 hour

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Mmmm, both of those sound really good.  :D  I'm definitely going to try that Pineapple Sweet Potato one. Very different and sounds tasty. Thanks for sharing them.  :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful recipe for sweet potatoes for the holidays - and I know your 2nd recipe very well.  They are known  here as funeral potatoes here.  Because it's an quick & easy dish that feeds lots of people at large gatherings such as funeral lol.  I'm going to definitely try the sweet potatoe one this year.  Thanks!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kate, funeral potatoes? omg....Must be a midwest thing as all my family is from the midwest, never heard it referred that way before. If my mother was still alive, I'd be on the phone asking her about that....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I got one for ya...actually I have several, but we'll start with this one...:

Candied Sweet Potatoes (the skin kiddies love this one...)

3-5 (more if your feeding an army) fresh sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into chunks
Small bag of brown sugar
Half a stick of butter
1/4 cup of apple juice
Tap water

1-2 Bags of marshmellows

In a medium to large sauce pan melt butter.  When melted, add sweet potatoes, brown sugar, apple juice, and enough tap water to almost cover sweet potatoes (amount of brown sugar will depend on amount of potatoes and size of pan...adjust accordingly).  Cook this mixture down until potatoes are soft, but not mushy.

Put sweet potatoe mixture into a GLASS baking pan (don't grease or otherwise coat pan prior to adding this mixture).  Cover thoroughly with marshmellows and bake at 375 until marshmellows are golden brown.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Liz my thoughts were.. HOLY SH#T that sounds SOOO freaking GOOD!!! I can't wait to make it!!!

Now we are on the topic...One of my fave dishes to bring to parties is...Sweet potato hummus. It's very tangy and is a nice alternative to regular hummus!

Sweet Potato Hummus

1 pound sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 teaspoons brown sugar
Zest of one orange
1 tablespoon tahini*
Pita slices, toasted, or bagel chips
1 teaspoon crumbled feta cheese
1 teaspoon toasted pistachios

* Tahini is a thick paste made of ground sesame seeds that can be purchased already prepared from many supermarkets and specialty stores.

Bake or microwave sweet potatoes until fully cooked. Allow the potatoes to cool, then remove the skins and discard them, retaining the flesh.

Toast the cumin seeds on low heat, then crush by hand. (Seeds can be crushed by using a mortar and pestle or by smashing between a saucepan and cutting board.)

Add seeds and sweet potato to the food processor together with the lemon juice, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, olive oil, brown sugar, orange zest and tahini. Blend until smooth and creamy (you may want to add more salt or sugar depending on the sweetness of the potatoes).

Serve hummus with toasted pita or bagel chips. Sprinkle with feta and toasted pistachios.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Many of you may already have this, but it's our family and friends holiday favorite dessert. I made 24 of these last year, mostly as gifts... guess I better get busy!!!

PUMPKIN ROLL

3 eggs
2/3 cup pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup flour

Lightly spray 10 x 13 jelly roll pan with cooking spray, then line with baking paper. Mix all ingredients together and beat smooth. Pour onto pan. Bake at 350 for 10 - 13 minutes. Do not overbake, will crack when rolling. Turn onto paper towels sprinkled with confectionary sugar, peel off baking paper and roll up including towel. Let cool completely. While cooling, prepare filling.

FILLING

2 Tablespoons butter -  room temp
1 8oz brick cream cheese -  room temp
3/4 tsp vanilla
1 cup confectionary sugar

Mix and beat smooth. Un-roll cooled cake, spread with filling completely covering cake. Re-roll, cover with saran wrap and store in refrigerator. Best if made at least 1 day ahead and can be frozen for up to 1 month.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Here's one for the fur kids:

Baked stuffed turkey breast

One whole boneless skinless turkey breast
potatoes - cut into small chunks and boiled so that they're soft but not mushy
baby carrots - boiled so that they're soft but not mushy
half clove freash garlic - pressed (optional)
2 cans low sodium low fat beef broth
brown rice - cooked

Boil carrots, potatoes, garlic in beeef broth.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Ok I have two recipes that are a MUST for me. My mom knows this so every year they are made :) I am so spoiled :lol: I only have one recipe-i am attempting to get the second, which i will post once it i have it :)

Apple Salad

3 large tart apples, peeled and cored-cut into bite sized pieces
1 pint heavy whipping cream (not whipped)
1/3 cup sugar, or more to your taste
1tsp vanilla or more to taste

mix all together and serve before apples become soggy.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"46754 said:
Kate, funeral potatoes? omg....Must be a midwest thing as all my family is from the midwest, never heard it referred that way before. If my mother was still alive, I'd be on the phone asking her about that....
I know I was shocked when I asked what the great potatoes were that my niece brought for our Thanksgiving dinner and everyone - including the hubands all said - funeral potatoes.  She was pregnant at the time and was suffering from morning sickness, so her husband had actually made them for her - sweet guy.  I guess I had lived in Vegas for too long or just didn't go to any funerals lol.  They all looked at me like I was weird for not knowing what they were called.  I liked them so much I looked up the recipe on the internet and they were indeed called funeral potatoes!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for sharing all of your recipes. I only have my favorite baked macaroni and cheese with bacon.
It is simple

by a small boxer of macaroni
By a block of Velveeta cheese
by a pack of bacon

Cook your macaroni until done then drain and set in a baking dish(long)

while you macaroni is getting done and draining(towards the draining part) In a big bowl put your block of cheese and milk about a cup full in the microwave. Heat until the cheese is very soft.(IT WILL HAVE A BURNT LOOK IF YOU COOK TO LONG JUST REMOVE BURNT PART OFF TOP) But cook in micro at lease until soft.
Then place the cheese in baking dish with macaroni stir in well  UNTIL all macaroni is covered or almost. Don't worry if you have any chunky not so melted parts they will melt in the next part.
Then take a pack of bacon and put strips long ways across the dish then when you do that cover all exposed macaroni parts with more bacon. (MAKE A BACON BLANKET ON TOP OF THE MACARONI is the best way to put it)
Ok then put in a pre heated over at 450 and cook for about twenty to thirty min or until bacon is done. It wont be crispy because you are cooking it in the oven.
ITS GOOD TRY IT
I am sorry if this is confusing. Let me know if you try it or not.
Samantha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts