Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone its been a while since I been on here. I hope everyone is well.

Since Christmas is apon us and I was wondering how everyone deals with the dogs and decorations?

Last year was our first Christmas with Gypsy and for the most part she did well with the tree. She did wreck a couple of bulbs and a strand of garland but when I was expecting way worse I would say she did well. Although when we went out for dinner I had to put the tree in the kitchen so she couldn't get at it while we were gone lol

While I put the tree up last year I had her vibrating/shock collar on, buzzed her and gabe her the NO sign when she went near the tree.

Part of the problem is that she gets a little obsessive with lights
eg. Flash lights, lazors, sun beating on something shiny
So who want a Christmas tree with no lights?

Problem is that I felt like by the time she started to get it, it was time to take everything down.

So my question is if anyone has any suggestions for me to keep my deaf stubborn Gypsy from the tree.

Also does anyone have any funny stories with their dogs and Christmas?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Bottom line- all of our decorations are where the boxers can't get to them.

We have a lot of stuffed decorations that we can put out with our older boys (they are 5), but not with Bandit. Bandit is about 20 months now, and he would think they were all his. We did not do a tree last year because he was so young, but we put one up last weekend.

It is in our dining room and we have it blocked off with baby gates so he can't get to it. He would undoubtedly do something, it's how he is and we need to be able to leave them at home for a bit alone.

We let him check it out a little while we were putting it up. He will look in at it and whine a little at times and he gets a "No".

Nothing funny around Christmas...(plenty of other destruction stories).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The year I got my guy he was about 9 months when I put the tree up. I guess I got lucky in that he wanted to see what it was, but after he sniffed it he pretty much left it alone. He tried to nose a glass ornament I just told him no, and he was fine. Last year he completely ignored it.

I did have to pull a couple pieces of tinsel out of the opposite end, lol, that wasn't pleasant. I think they were stray pieces that were on the floor.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I can't help, I only put a table tree up now. The old tree was done and I just never replaced it. However when I had one my dogs only wanted to sleep under it, they really didn't bother with it. Maybe a little the 1st day it was up just to see what it was, once they accepted it belonged there no problem. I think with a young dog I would have the room with the tree gated off when I couldn't be there to supervise.

·
Registered
634 Posts
the year i got my guy he was about 9 months when i put the tree up. I guess i got lucky in that he wanted to see what it was, but after he sniffed it he pretty much left it alone. He tried to nose a glass ornament i just told him no, and he was fine. Last year he completely ignored it.

I did have to pull a couple pieces of tinsel out of the opposite end, lol, that wasn't pleasant. I think they were stray pieces that were on the floor.
lol!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know it sounds sad but we just don’t put out decorations...between Willow and our 2 cats they wouldn’t last long I think!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts