Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog Dixie has Addisons now for about 2 years. She receives Percortin injections monthly and also has thyroid problems. Anyone out there that knows of a less expensive solution to this disease>? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
There are few herbs that are used to help, Licorice root being one. Licorice root is considered natures steroid and because Addisons disease is insufficient corticosteroid secretion from the adrenal glands it is often prescribed. Also many holistic vets prescribe Glandular Therapy, either feeding whole animal glandular tissue or using glandular tissue extracts. There are a few out there. I personally have never dealt with Addisons so I can't recommend one. Here is a good article by Dr Karen Becker on Addisons Is Your Female Dog at Risk of Addison's Disease?. She recommends Standard Process grandular support(the link didnt work in the article but just google standard process glandular support) and whole dog journal recommends Natural Gland and Organ Concentrate.

Stress seems to be a key factor in Addisons. Stress level must be kept at a minimum. Have you tried melatonin for stress levels? There are also herbs like Passionflower, Skullcap, and Valerian.

Make sure to feed a good diet. What are you feeding at the present?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts