Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks,

looking for any feedback from those of you that had / have any boxers up there in age... i've got one, a male/neutered reverse brindle that is 12 going on 13, and i cannot believe how much he is shedding and how thick his hair has become in certain areas.

i know it's that time of year... i've had him since 8 wo, along with another one that's 11 going on 12 and had him since 8 wo as well, so am very familiar with their grooming patterns and how to handle it and all that...

but it just seems he is changing... maybe with age i'm guessing. around his neck and chest, and on his hind quarters, the hair just seems like it's getting a bit longer and alot thicker, and along with that just shedding mounds when i brush or bathe.

i've always used a kong zoom groom, along with a couple of horse brushes (stiff & gentle bristle)... but just gave him a bath and my gosh !! the hair that came off !! it was crazy ! and he's still full !

i've had him through all kinds of tests the past year checking some things out just because of his aging... everything always came out fine so dont think thyroid or anything else is at work.

i know all about fish oil... but it doesn't sit well with him (tried that over the years just for general health).

anyone that has/have older knuckleheads experience the same thing as they aged ?? hair getting a bit longer and much thicker ? anything special you do or just more frequent brushing/baths ? any special brush work really well for you ? shampoo ??

thanks in advance !

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No I have had several Boxers now and haven't noticed any hair thickening as they age sometimes the opposite. I have two mostly Euro Boxers now and they have thicker and longer hair than the American Bred dogs I have had. They too are shedding like crazy now. I bath them with the furminator shampoo and it really seems to work cause they hair flies when I am coming them out dry. Since you have had him checked medically doesn't sound like a lot to worry about.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the feedback. after all these years, i knew about furminator brushes (have one), but never knew they also had a shampoo. guess i just got set in my ways. i checked it out online... gonna have to get some and try it out. thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I just furminated my dogs yesterday (LOL)! The shampoo then went got dried off and went out in the yard and I have a shedding tool its a looped blade type thing and I brush them gently as they dry and the hair just goes flying! That's why we do it outside you have to be gentle with it as their coat isn't that thick but it really does the trick. Seems like the white hair on the chest and neck area is the thickest though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts