Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup has a HomeAgain Microchip, but I've never paid the $14 maintenance fee. Does anyone here do that? We live in the city and he's never off leash or in a yard or anything... I'm just trying to justify the cost. I went to the website and updated my address and phone numbers, what do you think?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
We have Donner & Blitzen chipped with Home Again. EchoFaline is chipped but thru the rescue, so I have to look into that. I chose Home Again because at the time it was the most universally read and least likely to migrate after implant. I guess I compare the yearly fee against what I would be willing to pay for their return if one of them was missing :razz: Like you, mine are never unsupervised or off lead but you just never know......

·
Registered
292 Posts
I do pay the maintenance fee. I often get emails for dogs that are registered with home again that are lost in my area. If you register it sends out alerts if your pup goes missing. Also the service provides a call in vet....Abbey got into some fragrance spray last week, so I called in and got to talk to a vet to see if I needed to bring her in. They were super nice. Seems worth it to me.....

·
Registered
308 Posts
I pay the maintenance fee for Starr and she is never out unsupervised. Bailey was chipped with AVID ID when he was a puppy and they do not have an annual maintenance fee. They do charge a $6 fee if you need to change your address.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I know I'm just being cheap, but I'm trying to figure out if it's justified. I do like the call-a-vet feature, that seems kinda cool. I think I'll go ahead and do it! Now, onto the pet insurance idea! LOL :hmm:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I don't pay the fee because it doesn't offer anything for me. Your dog is still registered and when scanned, any vet will still be able to access the record and call you. I've also had no problem calling my vet or my e-vet and getting any answer I need without having to pay an annual fee.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My vet told me sometimes the chips can work their way out. My dog was microchipped but we've done several scans and can't find it. Don't know if there's different types and one better than another but if anyone is planning on getting it done it might be a good question to ask. I'm going to have Blues chipped again.

·
Banned
543 Posts
My Corgi is chipped with an Avid chip, and we have no annual fee, but there is a fee for information changes, I think it's like $5.
Annie isn't chipped yet, we're going to chip her when she goes in to be spayed. [yup, we do it early. so kill me] It will probably be the same kind of chip, as it will be done at the same place more than likely.
They can migrate around the body, my Beagle's was in his leg last time he was scanned. :roll:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just had Jackson "loaded" with the homeagain chip 11-16. Their claim is to have the only Bio-Bond™ patented anti-migration feature to help ensure that the microchip will stay in place. Guess time will tell. While we were at the vet office, a dog was brought in to be scanned for ID that was found along the road nearby. Office folks were working on calling the owner. Thought that was kind of neat.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I say its worth it! Pepper has Avid which is all they carried at vet i took her to. Its a one time fee of like $18 just to register your information. If they had HomeAgain and they told me about the emails and vet calls I'd probably go with HomeAgain! If my pups lost, I want as many people as I can looking for her.

·
Registered
208 Posts
StarrsMom said:
I pay the maintenance fee for Starr and she is never out unsupervised. Bailey was chipped with AVID ID when he was a puppy and they do not have an annual maintenance fee. They do charge a $6 fee if you need to change your address.

unless you are in the military, then they wave the fee to change your info (since we have to do it so often)

my girls are both chipped with homeagain, though, because that's what the pound we adopted soju from used, and we wanted both girls to have the same chip. watson will get a homegain chip, too.

i've always paid the fee 'cause i thought you had to for it to keep working. guess i was wrong *shrug*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts