Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did I miss the post that had what happened? Hope he heals up well!
Sent it in the response to your email last week. lol

So Zuke had a tooth that came in weird as a pup. It was on the lower jaw, the small front ones between the canines. Apparently sometime in the last few weeks, it came out of the gum and bent under his tongue. So that was the original reason for surgery. He had a tiny bump on his side and when the Doc looked at it he was pretty sure it could be a MCT. So he said since we are already putting him under for the tooth extraction, might as well take the bump too.

Long story short, he took the bump and did a larger incision for the margins, wound up having to take all the lower front teeth between the canines, cut a skin tag off of his ear and got a teeth cleaning to boot. Oh and he has 2 extra molars so I guess that evens things out a little. lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sent it in the response to your email last week. lol

So Zuke had a tooth that came in weird as a pup. It was on the lower jaw, the small front ones between the canines. Apparently sometime in the last few weeks, it came out of the gum and bent under his tongue. So that was the original reason for surgery. He had a tiny bump on his side and when the Doc looked at it he was pretty sure it could be a MCT. So he said since we are already putting him under for the tooth extraction, might as well take the bump too.

Long story short, he took the bump and did a larger incision for the margins, wound up having to take all the lower front teeth between the canines, cut a skin tag off of his ear and got a teeth cleaning to boot. Oh and he has 2 extra molars so I guess that evens things out a little. lol

I remember you telling me about the tooth....lol.
Guess I just saw the side incision and wasn't thinking about his mouth. lol
Glad he's doing well! few days of rest and he'll be ready to go :cheers:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember you telling me about the tooth....lol.
Guess I just saw the side incision and wasn't thinking about his mouth. lol
Glad he's doing well! few days of rest and he'll be ready to go :cheers:
Yeah, the bump we were trying to see if it would disappear on its own, the vet said we could still do that, but if it doesn't go away, we will have to put him under again, which isn't the best thing. So we made the decision to do the bump since he had to be under for the teeth.

His front teeth being all messed up from his genetics, now I wonder if thats why he would never hit the sleeve hard straight on. Just odd, he never showed signs of pain, ate normally, ate his bully sticks, duck necks, liked to bite the sleeve and wedge and once he was on was like a vice. Maybe just a coincidence.

Thanks Brian:cheers:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Glad Zuke is on the mend I hope that lump is nothing. I have had boxers with uneven teeth in the small teeth between the fangs on the lower jaw before but never had to have any one of them have them taken out one of my dogs got a lump on her lower gum area in the front and it had to be removed but that was it. I hope his mouth won't be too sore.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad Zuke is on the mend I hope that lump is nothing. I have had boxers with uneven teeth in the small teeth between the fangs on the lower jaw before but never had to have any one of them have them taken out one of my dogs got a lump on her lower gum area in the front and it had to be removed but that was it. I hope his mouth won't be too sore.
Thanks.

Yeah, so its 2 days after his surgery, Completely back to normal. lol Its crazy how fast they recover.

His mouth I think bothered him the most. He was whining pretty good the day of the surgery and yesterday. Had wet kibble today with soft food, eating like a champ today. The antibiotics and anti-inflammatory have made cleaning up after him tons of fun.. lol

Good thing is if it is an MCT the Doc said he definitely should have no issue going forward as it was in an easy spot and he did a large incision and is pretty confident of getting clean margins.

·
Registered
518 Posts
We will keep our paws and fingers crossed for Zuke that all ends well. I know what you mean about those messy bm's in the yard its terrible trying to get that cleaned up. Maybe he needs a probiotic? I have heard people using yogurt but I am a little concerned with that because I would want to get one that doesn't have anything that may hurt the dogs in it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We will keep our paws and fingers crossed for Zuke that all ends well. I know what you mean about those messy bm's in the yard its terrible trying to get that cleaned up. Maybe he needs a probiotic? I have heard people using yogurt but I am a little concerned with that because I would want to get one that doesn't have anything that may hurt the dogs in it.
I do use a probiotic called Probiotic Premium Plus by Pet Vitality. Vet recommended it a couple years ago when he was getting some IBS issues every once in a blue moon. Has worked great, not one instance since I started him on it.

It apparently has no effect when it comes to these antibiotics and anti inflammatory though. lol

I put extra pumpkin puree in his food today and it seems to be helping a little.

Thanks for the well wishes.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Hey Matt,

Just checking in on your boy and I see he recovered quickly. Hope you get the results soon. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way!

Kari

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Kari.

Last three days have been fun.

He is so used to bike rides, beach, etc. he can't understand why we have to walk slow everywhere. lol

Hopefully another 5 days and we are good to go.:cheers:

The focused heel has been a life saver

·
Registered
634 Posts
Matt - Sorry to hear you guys have gone through this, but glad to hear he's doing well.
Hope you get good news from the lab.

Keeping boxers from running or playing is so very hard. Hope things keep improving!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Matt - Sorry to hear you guys have gone through this, but glad to hear he's doing well.
Hope you get good news from the lab.

Keeping boxers from running or playing is so very hard. Hope things keep improving!
So we got the biopsy back today. It was an MCT(which we pretty much knew), it is a grade 2, but my vet said its is the lowest form of a grade 2 that he would even say it was a grade 1. Clean margins, did not go into the vasculature. Basically the best news I could have hoped for. Got a clean bill of health, just have to keep an eye if any bumps come up in the future.

Oh and we can start light jogging. Thank God! lol

Thank you all for asking about Zuke.:cheers:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am so glad you got some good news all these bumps and lumps can be so scary to deal with because you always wonder if you got them in time. Glad he able to go back out and exercise its always so hard to keep them in and quiet once they are used to going out everyday.

·
Registered
634 Posts
So we got the biopsy back today. It was an MCT(which we pretty much knew), it is a grade 2, but my vet said its is the lowest form of a grade 2 that he would even say it was a grade 1. Clean margins, did not go into the vasculature. Basically the best news I could have hoped for. Got a clean bill of health, just have to keep an eye if any bumps come up in the future.

Oh and we can start light jogging. Thank God! lol

Thank you all for asking about Zuke.:cheers:
So glad to hear things went as well as possible- and of course that he can be wide open again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts