Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my poor Brady just won't even go near his bowl...I have requested more than half a dozen samples of various things and will talk to the vet tomorrow but this is just going on too long.  He has sooo much eye goo and he is a little lacking in energy and just seems sad when I put his bowl down. He needs some nutrician other than a few hand fed morsels and peanut butter that I occassionally get to him.  So I bought an unflavored rot. chicken tonight, some brown rice, tuna, some low sodium broth (hoping to also make the kibble taste better to him) and some non-gaseous veggies.  Until I can find something he likes, I will have to supplement with homecooked (or home-microwaved in my case as we have no kitchen due to renovations), but I have NO IDEA what constitutes a portion when feeding like this. We have always added in little bits here and there as a supplement to their food, but how much when this is the main source of their diet? Should I figure about 2/4 cups worth when blended as his usual kibble portion is about 3/4 of a cup?

I gave him some chicken before and he was wild for it...so at least I know he has his appetite. This won't be a long term feeding method as I know he won't get all the nutrician he needs from it (i know raw is better), I just need a temporary fix to get him through a few days.  Just from the one serving so far of chicken, he already seems more upbeat and happy. And of course, Abby is loving the scrapes I am giving her...I hate to have her smelling this great food and not get any!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
everything should be equal...if yo normally feed 1.5 cups per feeding (3 cups per day) then you should feed that amount for homecooked.  Don't add any seasoning. oils, or salts to his feed or the homecooked stuff..add fresh herbs with knowledge that they can aid in other things as well...so looking some herbs up to see what they mau help with would come in handy in your case...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!!! I did find a cooked chicken that had no flavors or spices added so I grabbed that one. I will keep my eye out for them until the kitchen is up and running. I figured I would make a little stew with the rice, a bit of low sodium broth, veggies, and chicken. Then I can just heat it up for each meal for him. I will look up which herbs are good for him.
I have a feeling this will spoil him and I won't get him back onto kibble. So be it...I just will need to do some research to make sure I give him what he needs.
He's been quite a begger since we rescued him and not too excited about his food....I figure he probably always ate "people food," and maybe he's just gotten bored completely with the kibble.

·
Registered
780 Posts
One thing you might try when you get the kitchen back is to add a little of the chicken broth water to his food (no seasoning just the broth from boiled chicken).  That helped Teaki some when she wouldn't eat.  We dealt with that for almost 5 years, she barely at enough to survive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts