Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are having our home visit this coming Saturday.  I am so nervous and excited at the same time.  I know we already have Blue and I think we have done a pretty good job with him.  But for some reason I keep worrying we won't be good enough for another boxer.  I'm a worry wart, if you couldn't tell!  I worry about things before they even happen. haha....   I was just wondering if we could get some advice about the things they will be looking for during our home visit.  I just can't wait to have another Boxer.  I absolutely love the breed and I think Blue would love to have a little sister to play with.  I have found the cutest little girl through this rescue, and she won't be ready for a month or two.  Which is good since Blue hasn't gone in for his "surgery" yet.  So by the time she would be ready for a new home, Blue will have recovered from his surgery!!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Relax....I'm sure everything will go just fine!

Every rescue is different, so what they will be looking for will vary. Some require fencing, others do not. They will want to know where you will keep the dog(s) while you are away at work or gone for a few hours.  Usually a crate is best. Where will the dog(s) sleep? How will the dog(s) be excercised? Will you spend time on training? How will the dog(s) be disciplined?  
Those are just a few things they will look for. Good luck, and let us know how it went!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
It is very scary waiting and wondering what they will think but I am sure you will do fine.  I kept running around checking to make sure everything was in its place, but once they got there all they wanted to see was that I was at the address that I had reported, that it was a clean and safe environment.  All of the questions that Tootsie mentioned were on the application so they knew my answers to those.  They did want to review the contract to make sure that I understood all the conditions and would agree to them.  Every rescue is a little different so they may do yours differently.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Our rescue was quite picky. They required us to have two locks on our gate when we adopted Sam. They checked all vet records of all my animals  - dogs and cats. They were pretty darn thorough. Of course when they came to the house and saw how darn spoiled these kids are, they were happy to adopt to us. When I contacted them about Lucy, we didn't have to have any home visit or fill anything out again. During the process, I was kind of ticked that they scrutinize so much but in retrospect I am glad they do it that way - at least they know the kind of home and family they are placing the dogs with.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
when we went through rescue, they also checked how the backyard was. If it was kept up or had stuff scattered, they also checked for any kind of exposed wire (i.e wire coming from outlet to tv)the dog could chew on.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i hope everything goes well!  :D  i am sure it will, good luck!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Good luck! Don;t be nervous, altho I was when I had my home visit for Samson. They will want to see current vet records for Blue and I think most everything else is covered already...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Oh, I know exactly what you mean, we're all done with the process except the home visit and yesterday I got an e-mail from my contact person at the agency and she wanted to know if we had heard about our visit yet?????? I sent one back saying we were home all weekend and were getting a little worried, haven't heard anything back yet. I'm sure you're pacing a hole in your floor just like we are. I swear I don't even do this much crazy housekeeping when my MIL comes to visit :D I've cleaned and puppy proofed, bought a new crate and bed, collar, leash and bowls. Now, just waiting..............sigh :roll: Good Luck to you and post when you hear something.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I know nothing about home visits as I have yet to adopt a rescue. But I wish you lots of luck and I'm sure you'll do fine, try not to stress too much about it! Let us know how it goes  :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Good luck.  I think it's great that you want to help rescue a pet.  I understand it's important to place animals in a good environment, but two locks on a gate, that's excessive.  Do they do a background check on you? j/k!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
[quote="JeepKuntry\";p=\"51472":2wiskeco]Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts