Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so although I don’t get my pup until next month, I’m trying to do tons of research. I am really wanting to feed my boy the best diet and so far the store brands are crap. I’m wanting to make his food, but can’t wrap my brain around the raw diet. Is the homemade cooked diet with supplements just as good or....?? Please be kind, this will be my first attempt at homemade. 🙂

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Sorry I'm not a raw feeder or cooker, lol. My dog gets Victor, which I feel is a good kibble. For me its too much work to figure out if I'd be giving all the right nutrients n supplements

·
Registered
47 Posts
With our old girl Roxi, we did kibble (Wellness Core) with cooked chicken that we made. I would either boil it or I would cook it in the oven. No skin. She had chronic pancreatitis (sp?) so we had to watch the fat. Chicken and Turkey were easy to find. Beyond that additional protein, we made sure we had a good kibble. With our new puppy, we are starting her on Earthborn Holistic. I have read really good things about it and I like their range of adult foods as well.

I don't know if this was the info you were looking for but I think it's a great idea to prepare food for your puppy for sure <3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much for the responses! I’m still trying to research as much as possible! There’s so much info out there. I’m leaning toward a home cooked diet with supplements. I’m just confused about the puppy stage. Any and all info is greatly appreciated 😊

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would suggest trying to find a feed store local to you that has various grain free kibbles and of course raw diets. We went through so many different kibbles as our two boxer were growing up and then around five years or so ago we tried raw and haven’t looked back. There’s quite a few good raw brands out there and a good feed store will have several different brands to choose from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At this time im just feeding my pup cooked food with some vitamins here and there. how did y'all get your pups to try raw food and how was its first reaction to it? wouldnt the pups stomach not be able to handle the raw food?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Our dogs took to it really easily. They didn’t much care for kibble or canned wet food....we were throwing at least half of it away almost every meal. Once we started feeding raw they ate every last bit of it, every meal. In our case we didn’t even have to transition over...went straight from their old diet to raw and had no problems. If you think about it...dogs in the wild eat nothing but raw food. So by instinct they shouldn’t have any adversion to eating it. Sometimes it can take some trial and error to find the protein sources that they prefer, but in our case they like most of them anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This may be a silly question, but when feeding raw are there any special precautions that should be taken after they eat to make sure they don't transfer any bad stuff to us humans while giving us big...sloppy kisses???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just avoid it right after eating for a little bit (usually half an hour or so as far as I’m concerned....it’s a judgement call). Otherwise it’s no different than before feeding them raw.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello all really interesting stuff! Sorry if this is silly but im new to this lol Raw diet as in raw meats?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, it’s primarily raw meats. You can go the route that some people go by getting actual parts and organs and feeding that way. This is a cheaper way to do it, but usually it’s also necessary to add various supliments to make sure your dog(s) are getting all the nutrients they need.

Or you can go with a commercially prepared raw diet, which has vegetables and other good stuff in it already. The downfall to this is that it is more expensive than feeding kibble. But for simplicity reasons it’s what most people do anyway. If you have one dog to feed, or even two, it’s not so bad monetarily wise. It’s when you get to 3-4 dogs (like my wife and I) it can add up. But we don’t have kids....so we ensure our dogs get the best nutrition available.

Here’s what we feed, to give you an idea of what it is:
http://www.stevesrealfood.com

They also get raw goats milk at dinner time, along with beef broth gelatin cubes I make for them. We also just started giving them coconut oil as well. They are very happy puppies, so the expense is well worth it to us.

Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts