Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Hondo to a friend of mine who has a boxer. They have played together when Hondo was a smaller pup with no problems. Today The other boxer jumped on Hondos back and wraped is front legs around him. Hondo started growling and showing teeth. He has never done that before and my son plays real rough with him. Might that behavior twards the other dog be the sign of a problem?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don't know honestly. I would think the other dog was trying to be dominant over him and he was going to make sure the other dog knew he wasn't okay with that. That's what it sounds like to me. I don't know what the actual outcome would be. Odin was dominated by a boxer at a dog park one day but he became submissive and didn't try and question it. So I haven't had any actual experience as far as my dog having issues with it. Hopefully some one will be more helpful.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The other dog was trying to show dominance to your dog.  He acted appropriately, he didn't appreciate.  IMO it is the "pack leaders" (owners) responsibility to monitor this type of behavior and all behavior between dogs.  I tell my little female "off" of my male.  She is starting to get the hint.  Your dog is know older than when he played with the other dog the first time so things have changed.  

Nano

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Sometimes humping is just play - you'd need to watch and decide for yourself whether the other dog was actually trying to be dominant, or just trying to get Hondo to play.  Either way, growling and showing teeth is an appropriate response - either they are also part of the play-posturing, or they are warnings to the other dog that his behavior is not appreciated.  What did the other dog do?  If he backed off, then there's no problem; if he didn't, and you're sure Hondo wasn't playing, then the other dog may need some work to understand canine communication.  

This is an excellent article which discusses growling etc. in the context of 'dog language':
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other dog wasn't trying to hump him, he was standing on the side of Hondo with his paws around him like a bear hug.
I know the other dog wasn't trying to be dominate he just wanted to play because he has no other dogs to play with.
I was just SO suprised at Hondo's reaction because 1: my little boy gabs him the same way when they are playing and 2: he just made 7 mo. I would think 7 mo was kinda early to be showing that kinda aggresion.
I hope im just over reacting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts