Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I've had my puppy Lola since Sunday, March 18th.  She came from a breeder in Oklahoma.  We brought her to the vet on Saturday and they called yesterday to tell us that she has hookworm and must have caught it when she was in the kennel with the other puppies.  We got her medicine and I know it's treatable.  Just wondering if anyone else went through this and if there's anything I should watch out for.  She's still running around and playing so I know she's not in pain.  Just a concerned mom!  Thanks!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
As long as she is on meds and is being treated she should be fine. One of the problems with hookworms is that they can accidentally infect humans. The worms can migrate through the skin. You can pick up the hookworm larvae from areas contaminated by dog poo, and they penetrate the human's skin just like they would the dog's. So if you have kids, watch where they play, and it might be a good idea to pick up right  after your pup, and wash, wash, wash their hands after playing with Lola too. I don't want to scare you with this, it's not that easy to get, I just wanted you to be aware that humans can get this also.
The only thing I would watch out for Lola is she can become anemic from hookworms. If she is being treated for it already, I wouldn't really worry about anything else. She will be just fine. Puppies can get it from mothers milk, so that's probably where she got it. I would call the breeder and let her know, in case she doesn't already. Good Luck.  :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts