Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We boarded Hoosier at a great place while we were away for the holidays. Its a crateless facility and the staff is awesome. Hoosier plays NONSTOP and hence the problem: He burned A TON of calories and kept the same twice a day feeding schedule...he also tends to not each much away from home. He lost a lot of weight...wasn't heavy to begin with. His ribs are showing and a tince of spine and hip. He's tired, but otherwise normal. What sort of a regimen should I put him on to get his weight back up?  Just some R&R and extra snacks? I picked up some pumpkin today...what should I do?

G

·
0 Posts
I'm sure he'll be fine with the same amount of food and exercise he's been on at home...if you are worried, give him an extra 1/2 cup a day til he catches back up...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Thats what I would suggest also, is to give him a bit extra with each feeding.  Is he having a problem with loose stool and needs the pumpkin?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup. His stool is soft. I was going to give the pumpkin a try before I look to switching his food to something poultry based like Merricks Turducken. He's on Merrick Wild Blend right now.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Buck lost 10 lbs when I kenneled him for 2 weeks so I know where you are coming from...The worst part for me is I had to fatten him up in a hurry before him & Tia took their Transatlantic flight to Ireland.....I would give him a Kong daily with peanut butter & yogurt to start, add some of his kibble as well...He will more than likely start eating better anyways as he's home also..The pumpkin for the stools would be good too...Give him also a bit of cooked hamburger to add some fat or dark meat chicken..Course you know he's going to start expecting all these yummies ot continue after he's put on a bit of weight :)

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i agree with the others advice, he will settle back in and eat more,he will be his old self again before you know it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts