Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been active on the forums in a long long time....life got the best of me....marriage, 2 kids, and 2 moves later.....finally in my dream home....and then.....the dog bites the neighbor....

Backstory....Moved to the house in Feb 2014, met the neighbors once to ask if they were ok if we put up a fence (trying to be friendly and not piss them off) we installed a 5 ft solid wood fence in May 2014. Our boxers are 7 and 8 years old and have lived in a townhouse since they were 8 weeks old so this is new found freedom. Fast forward to June 2015 we are in the yard playing with the kids and dogs next thing I know the neighbor is trying to open the gate, which is locked. We tell her we aren't opening the gate "we forgot the combination on the lock". So she asks to see the baby who is 6 months old. I held him up and next thing I know she starts banging her hands on top of the fence saying dogs do you see me dogs do you see me......they come up no growling barking, etc and next thing we know she screams and the dogs run....well the male bit the tip of her finger off....he was not aggressive or attacking he is blind in one eye and we don't think he even knows what he went for and got. We call police and insurance to cover our butts. Insurance has denied first party liability since the police officer stated she was trespassing on our property. We went through everything asked and then in August we get a call from insurance stating we need to remove the dog or they will not renew the policy.....i have called 7 insurance companies and have 3 brokers quoting trying to find insurance before we get cancelled but everybody is denying taking us on.

IF we end up needing to remove him from the property is there a way to find a rescue that would take him with a bite? I have called 3 (one is full and two wont take a dog with a bite) Please help!!!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I so sorry you are going through this; this is not your fault or your dog; all he was doing was protecting your and your family. These people who do they think they are??? Anyone who has any commonsense would know not to 'taunt' dogs in their own fenced in yard. I hope someone on the board can offer some help or advise to you. I would really hate to see you loose your beloved boy over someone else's stupidity.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gosh I'm sorry to hear this. Where I live, backyard privacy fences are the norm, legal up to 7-8' tall. And most people have a front yard fence, I think the legal height is 3-4' tall. It has helped a lot with having dogs.

Do you have access to any kind of community website or board where you can post your dog up for adoption?

Maybe also put the word out to friends and family who know the dog and his temperament and might be willing to take him in?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gosh I'm sorry to hear this. Where I live, backyard privacy fences are the norm, legal up to 7-8' tall. And most people have a front yard fence, I think the legal height is 3-4' tall. It has helped a lot with having dogs.

Do you have access to any kind of community website or board where you can post your dog up for adoption?

Maybe also put the word out to friends and family who know the dog and his temperament and might be willing to take him in?
I have tried everywhere local....at this point I am reaching out to any and everybody that I can find. I don't think it is fair when a 60 year old woman who has never met my dogs and who I have only met 3 times didn't have enough common sense to stay out of my yard!

I have spent countless hours and dollars trying to fight to keep him since he has been with my kids and our other boxer forever.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Wow, this is so very sad :( I hope you can work something out so you can still see your pup :( We don't allow the neighbor kids to come into our yard to get toys that come over the fence because we are concerned our pups might knock them down in their enthusium (not to mention them removing a "new" toy from the yard!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I live in NY and have NYC M insurance. When I got my puppy a few weeks ago I emailed my agent and asked if I needed to notify company that I had a dog . I was told that I didn't need to notify them . No questions asked of what breed or anything.....

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I would just tell them you've removed the dog. They have no way of knowing what dog did what. They didn't DNA test him or pawprint him. How would they know if you have the same dog? I don't understand why they would cancel you if they denied liability and didn't have a payout on the policy AND the police officer stated the woman was trespassing. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
You can probably sign a waiver with the insurance company stating they have no liability over your dogs. I had to do that when I owned a rottweiler. Not all agents are smart enough to know there is a waiver. That would mean though if your dog bit someone and they sue you you will be liable on your own without any help from a homeowners policy. And yeah what she said I would just keep the dog and say he is no longer there, we actually took a collie in many many years ago that had a bite history, I remember my parents (i was once young, lol) saying he was a show dog but had 3 bites and in NYC that was it the dog had to be destroyed. So he came to live with us, we couldn't register him and he had a new name. He never bite anyone again and we had him many years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I second pretending you got rid of the dog and not doing so, or start an online petition and get dog-lovers involved.
No matter what the person was acting like, your dog bite someone trying to break onto your property, where you and your baby were, after you denied this person entry. And let's be honest, the way the person was acting it's almost as if she was trying to be bitten! I don't doubt your dog didn't even know what he was doing. And honestly this person was being belligerent, obviously acting insane and irrational, I'm sure you were frightened and your dogs may have picked up on that, I'm wondering if something worse might've happened if your dog hadn't bitten her. I think most dog owners would be very sympathetic to your plight, and be happy to sign a petition or something to help... It is insane to me that you would have to go through this and I pray you don't have to rehome your dog.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also, a similar thing happened at the daycare I work at... A dog caused an employee a very serious hand injury completely by accident. Dogs have very sharp teeth, and accidents happen more often than you'd think, even with dogs that can see.
Perhaps it might help to get a vet note stating that the event was a result of a mistake due to your dog's disability?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts