Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I take Jetta to the vet to get her 1st shots.  She got the parvo, lepro, Distemper, corona virus shots.  I asked about vaccinosis and the vet treated me like an idiot...and she said that Jetta shouldn't have any reaction at all.  She started in on her skinniness about if she was purebred etc...but did say she has a good bite and good formation in her face...

So, I get the shots and an hour later, her face is red and swollen like a balloon.  She pooped right away so I took her and the poop back to the vet.  She had a bad reaction to the shots was given a steroid and benedryl shot and had the poop tested.  She is totally infested with roundworms eggs and bugs and needs 2 more doses of the dewormer.  This caused her hair to look mangy and the vet is now convinced she is indeed purebred...

I now have to give her 3/4 of a dose of kiddy benedryl at 10, 2, and in the morning.  Then every time we go back in for more shots i pretreat her with a  dose 2-3 hours before and she'll get a benedryl shot...

This means however that as an adult the will titer her instead of auto give yearly boosters...

So...she should gain weight again soon,..but in the meantime she looks like a little shar pei with a boxer body and markings!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I actually prefer titer, to me its easier on the dog.   I try not to give more than three shots in one visit.   To me, some say 5 are the limit but not to my comfort level.  

Sorry about your baby, and hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Poor baby! I hope Jetta is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Poor little girl is having a rough time of it.    Hope she feels better real soon.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Jetta, what a rough day she had..Hoping she's feeling better now and please give her a hug for me...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Her face has gone down and she is really sleepy. She is peeing a lot, but I don't know if that is related to the reaction.  She is still breathing labored, but I think she will be fine.  Thanks for your concern

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Peeing more is due to the steroid shot, that is a common side effect. Sleeping more is due to the benedryl.

You said you took her and the poop back and she had worms...Did they not check her before or during the time of her visit for shots?

Reactions are not common but they do happen. Hope she is feeling better today!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Poor Jetta.  I hope she feels better quickly.  I have to make an appointment for Tonka, for his 2nd round of puppy shots.  He turns 10 weeks old next week.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is doing much better, she is playing and she slept all night...kinda nice actually...no crying when we put her in the cage...she seems much much much better...Her swelling is gone...but she hates baby benedryl, lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts