Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost two year old rescue boxer dog seems to be fairly hot all the time. Does anyone know if this is usual for the breed we call him our hot water bottle, but our behaviourist asked me to check out if it was usual. I have had many dogs in the past but he is my first boxer, I have never noticed this before in any of my other dogs.
He has his check ups at the vets all has seemed ok, any advice I would be most grateful.
Cheers keran.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ya know Diesel has always been like that as well. When I put my hand on his belly, it always felt burning hot. His vet checks were fine as well. So I'm guessing it's normal?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel seems to run on the warm side as well, which is lovely in the winter, but not so fun in the summer when she wants to snuggle....If your boxer doesn't seem to be in any distress, I really wouldn't worry too much....By distress I mean, excess panting, tongue hanging out etc....What I have done is take ice cubes and stroke them over their chest if they seem to warm, or you can take a towel, get it wet with cool water and wrap it around the chest....I noticed that you are in the UK, so extreme heat I guess isn't really an issue huh?

Welcome to the forum, would love to see pics of your guy  :)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum Keran.  My two always seem to feel warm to the touch too.  Nothing I worry about though -it's nice to stick my cold feet on Kane at night - he warms them right up lol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
we were wondering the same thing when we first got Madeline but realized she is just warm normally.  glad to hear other's experience this--must be the breed.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What is considered excessive panting? Beacause it seems like every activity fredo does, he's always panting like crazy, it doesn't seem to stop him or slow him down though. Should I be worried? I'll ask the vet when we go again in a couple days, but they probably think i'm crazy b/c i get worried over every little thing.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Isis does it too..shes always hot..but she shows it b/c shes white so her ears and around her eyes get red..

lmao @ Kate..i do that to mine also..nothing like a furry foot warmer hehe

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Both of mine pant a lot when they are involved in activity, Samson especially due to his age and his weight...Generally when they have had enuf, they will slow down, but like I said in my earlier post you can cool him off by putting a cool towel over his chest or rub with ice..Samson thinks that is the best  :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks. At least I know it's not just him. I'm a paranoid mommy, especially after all the health problems we had with our previous dog.  Sometimes i tell fredo...i think mommy  needs to start sleeping with the veterinarian......hahaha

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Dogs bodyheat is 102 if I'm not mistaken.  Boxers can overheat quicker due to the short muzzle.  If your worried about he/she overheating, keep plenty of water down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone for your replies makes me feel heaps better, he is fab to snuggle up to at night and your right in the U.K we dont suffer from the external heat as you guys get.  I will get him checked when I go to the vets next, but I'm sure they think I'm neurotic lol. thanks for the welcome to the forum also everyone.
I will try to put some pics of my wee boy up.
x keran

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
aaaaaaahaha start sleeping with the vet..be a good choice for alot of us hahaha

:D dont think hubby would think it was so funny though but i can ask :lol: haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts