Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maverick has a hotspot in between his toes and im wondering what the best way was to care for these. ive been keeping it clean for the last couple days (which is how long it has been there) it doesnt hurt him but he doesnt like me touching his paws in general and gets annoyed. What causes hot spots? i didnt take him tot he vet for his since he is completely fine, no change in behavior etc and i have seen many hotspots on other dogs...probably should have inquired about them then but never did...thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Maybe Sharon has some ideas.  I've never had any to deal with fortunately.

Nano

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You can soak the foot that has the hot spot in Epsom Salt and water to help reduce the swelling if it is not open and seeping.....If it is more open then take some baking soda and water and make a paste to put on it...soak and then rinse off..... Follow up with Neosporin....

They are from moisture and usually from licking or scratching....sometimes yeast....in that case yeast infection cream like Monastat seems to help......

If the area looks fluid filled sometimes it can be a interdigital cyst between the toes...if you google that you should find some photos to compare....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Glad to hear I can use neosporin too.  I was going to post that my vet suggested Boilease (I found at CVS drugstore)  He told me to just rub on her spot when she gets it on her foot and that it would heal it up pretty quickly.  So far it has worked.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Hot spots are usually related to scratching and itching and the cortizone helps with controlling that so you can allow it to heal.....at the same time you can try Cortizone cream on the area itself and see if it helps......some have spots with scratching and some have them without....the important thing is to get them to leave it alone long enough for the skin cells to heal...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts