Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys i have had chloe now for going on three weeks and i cant get her to poo outside!!! I am at a wits end. she has no problem running outside and peeing, but we can sit outside for 45 minutes and she wont poo, the second we come in she squats and poo's. I say loudly and firmly NO! and grab her (mid poo) and take her back out. Once back out side she just sits on the ground and looks at me.I am crate training her as well and she also is starting to go potty in her kennel during the night which didnt use to be the case. She gets fed 3 times daily and she gets no food or water after 7p.m. I take her out at between 9 and 10 and she will always pee and then again my boyfriend will take her out at between midnight and 1 a.m-he says she wont go at all he usually stays out for about 30 minutes but has stayed as long as an hour walking her around. She wont potty outside that late for some reason,but by the time I wake up at 6 she has poo'd and pee'd in her kennel!!!  :aua: ARGHHHHH!!! we dont spank her or rub her nose in anything she does. I take a cleaner and clean the carpet immediately to get rid of the smell, and clean her kennel with clorox bleach spray and disinfectant wipes. I am at a loss guys. she has opened up almost all the way and really lovable, still a littl lazy for a pup but she is playing and running around now. Any ideas to help her??

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
You could try to scoop up the poop from inside and put it outside where you want her to go. That way she will have her scent outside. It might help her if you put it where you want her to do her business, and give her a command such as "go potty" or whatever you are training her with. Praise her like crazy when she does go outside. Your neighbors might think you are crazy, but it will help Chloe understand she has done a good thing. Good Luck, I know potty training is the pits but she will get it, she still a pup!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah everytime she goes outside we give her all kinds of lovins and she even gets a small treat. I havent thought about transferring the poo though. I will see how that works! any ideas on why she would all of a sudden starting going in the kennel when she didnt when we first got her? nothing hs changed in the home.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
When I was trying to crate train Buster, he used to pee and poo in his crate. I could never understand that, because I was told by my trainer "a dog will not do his business where he sleeps." Well, was he ever wrong. Buster would pee and poo no matter what length of time he was in his crate. Buster ended up breaking out of his crate several times, so I just threw the crate out. It turns out, Buster had severe seperation anxiety so the whole crate training was tossed out the window. He did so much better when he was out of the crate.  I'm not saying that is what is going on with Chloe, I'm just saying that dogs will go in their crate. How long is she crated for? How old is she? If she is real young, she may not have the control yet to hold it for long periods of time.  
Hang in there, she will get it. Just keep having your "celebrations" outside when she does go potty outside and she will begin to pick it up. Good Luck!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It has been soo long since I have potty trained a pup that any advice I give is going to be just things I have picked up from other people...

I would definitely place some of her poop outside where you want her to go. Her scent is on it & it's a reminder to her where to go..Also is she leashed when you take her out? If she's allowed to roam, her concentration is going to be on other things other than what's she supposed to be doing. Like Tootsie said also, even tho dogs normally won't do anything in their crate, they will sometimes, or in her case the separation anxiety takes over. Young pups just don't have good control & it's hard when they are young to find a rythm. One more thing, could something have happened to her maybe when she went out to poop that may have scared her? I realize that seems like a strange question, given that she pees fine, but you  never know....

Good luck & I think the key is not to let your frustration show.. Boxers, even at that age are very intuitive..They pick that up & use it.... 8O

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chloe will be 13 weeks on friday. I know that is still young enough to have some bladder control issues. She is in her crate MAXIMUM of 4 hours in the afternoon and then about 4 hours at night. She doesnt go potty in her crate during the day, only at night. She is in bed with me :)  until my boyfriend does the final potty break at about 1a.m so she goes in kennel after that last break. She is always on a leash when we go out, i feel that she is too young and not trained well enough to go with out the leash. To my knowledge she hasnt had a scare when she goes outside, but i will have to double check with my boyfriend. I do have to give my baby girl kudos though. She didnt do anything in her kennel last night and she poo'd outside this morning for the very first time in at least a week :dance: ! I havent had a chance to try and move the poo, but hopefully

·
Registered
11 Posts
She sounds as if she is a little darling!!! Our girl kona was the easiest puppy to train we were lucky!!! She never pooed inside once since we got her but she's an exception to the rule though i spose. It usually takes quite a few weeks for them to get the hang of the whole potty training thing so dont loose faith in her she will get the hang of it eventually!!!! Now that she has pooed outsise once i would leave the poo where she did it. When we were training our girl we put her poo up on the garden and encouraged her to do her buisness up there, now thats the only place where she poo's and saves us a lot of poop scooping!!!  :D  We tell our girl to " go be good girl " and we can get her to wee or poo on commamd!!! We have done it from the start and its the best thing we ever did!!!!! We also praised her HEAPS every time she got it right. Im not sure if that will help you or not but good luck with her anyway!!  :emtthumbs:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ahhhh, Chloe sounds like she's starting to get it.....It does take a few weeks for puppies to really be housebroken & yes, some pick it up faster than others..She sounds like she's doing pretty good actually & now that she went poo outside, well it's all going to get better from here. I think the key is to be consistent..Help your puppy get into a schedule & everyone will be happy...Heck Samson is soo schedule orientated that he comes to remind me it's time to go walk.. :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TWO DAYS!! i am so proud of my chloe. She has once again kept her kennel clean during the night!! and this morning when she went out at 6 she pee'd and poo'd!!! she got two pupcorn treats for such great behavior!!  :dance:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
:clap: Good girl Chloe!!! :emtthumbs:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Sounds like she's doing really well! I'll be honest with you, it took us quite a while to fully toilet train Daisy! Trust me, we also had a fair few unpleasant accidents where Daisy had been to the toilet (pee AND poo) in her cage, and it looked as if she had danced around in the mess, getting in absolutely EVERYWHERE! It wasn't nice! But now Daisy is brilliant! She will now let us know when she wants to go out by looking at us and then "taking" us to the door.
Chloe's picking it up really quickly now by the sounds of things!

Heather

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Woo hoo.. Two paws up Chloe...Sounds like she is starting to "get it" ..So glad for you & it will make life a lot happier too for all of you...Give that good girl a treat.... :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
tootsie\";p=\"1445 said:
You could try to scoop up the poop from inside and put it outside where you want her to go.
I agree with this completely. If it looks like a potty and smells like a potty, it must be a potty. ;)

Similarily, make extra sure that you're cleaning up the areas that she's had accidents in the past in with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Other cleaners just don't get the smell out. YOU may not be able to smell it, but your dog certainly can.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well sadly she has regressed again  :( At this time she has not gone potty outside at all this weekend. She keeps going in the house no matter how long we stand out side. We moved the poo outside but she still doesnt go. The onlytime she went outside is when we were all out in the backyard and she was out playing. back at square one but i still have faith, we shall get through this.  :?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi there,
Set backs are not uncommon. Keep in mind that puppies will always potty 1) after they wake up 2) after they eat and 3) after they play, which I know, doesn't make it easy for you since this is about all they do, :lol:

But one of the biggest things that I found to be extremely helpful in potty training my youngest is to feed them and sit with them in your lap on the couch for 15-20 minutes after they eat. They may fuss and want to get down, but they need to sit and be still. It helps if you do this in front of the TV and turn on cartoons or something with bright colors, shapes and sounds. Then, after 15-20 minutes is up, get up and carry them outside. This guaranteed that my bitch pottied each and every time (just because by that time, she *really* had to go), and made her successful in doing it as well as gave us the opportunity to show her what we expected of her by praise, praise, praising her when she pottied outside.

Hope this helps - good luck!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well darn it....I thought that Chloe was really starting to get the hang of this...I'm sorry to hear that she has had a setback, but that's all it is,,,Keeping positive thoughts for you..Remember she is just a baby still.....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i tried something new guys! i kept Chloe on leash with me the whole day until she poo'd outside. If i took her out and she didnt go i would make her follow me around so she couldnt poo behind my back. So she ate breakfast at about 830 and i took her out about 20 minutes after she ate and she wouldnt go. we tried going outside 3 more time before 11 and she wouldnt poo-so attached at the hip she stayed. Well i went out for a bit and luckily she was able to go with me, tried getting her to poo before we left and she wouldnt, when we got home about an hour later tried again-still no poo!! :bs?!?!:  by this time she was walking a little funny and you KNOW she had to go but was being stubborn. Now keep in mind each time we go out we would walk for about 15 minutes and she wouldnt produce anything. So FINALLY at 2 p.m I took her back out  and i guess she started to understand that she wasnt going to get rid of me unless she poo'd- and viola! she went potty!  :dance: she got all kinds of treats and praises and lovins. As soon as we got back inside i let her off leash and got so excited that she started runnin in circles barking and bouncing around the living room and off the couches!! I can honestly say i feel we have taken a big step forward!! :mrgreen:  :bigrazz:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts