Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay the dog that we got a month ago has been outside since we got her. She was house broke, I belive, and I want to allow her to stay in the house with us.

What are some good ways to retrain her?

Also we are having to get rid of other boxer/lab mix because of aggression problems towards kids and strange dogs. I don't want to get rid of the boxer/lab, but we have a 3 month old baby girl and she means more to me than allowing an aggressive dog around her.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I cannot help you out much. I mean if she was house broken they usually don't just stop being house broken.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just want to say, Boxers need human interaction. Leaving that poor dog outside is awefull. And as for getting rid of the other one, Have you tried working on fixing the unwanted behavior. I know it harder than just discarding the dog but it sure is worth a try.  

If the dog is houstrained it should remember, or perhaps just a bit of a refresher.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
There is absolutely no reason you cannot bring this new boxer into the house..How old is she? Start from scratch, pretend she is a puppy. Keep her leashed so you can grab her quickly. Take her out every 30 minutes, when you take her out reward her excessively. Yes, you will have accidents, that's what Nature's Miracle is for..I went thru this when we brought Angel home at 18 mos, yes it was slow and frustrating, but after a couple months, it was much better. I'm not sure where you live, but Boxers cannot tolerate extremes in temps and they CANNOT be left outside constantly. It's 40 degrees here right now, way too cold for my 2 to stay outside, not that they do...If you don't have a crate, get one. Have your new boxer sleep in that at nite....Patience, patience & more patience...

G

·
0 Posts
Obedience trainign can work miracles for an "aggressive" dog...

If your baby is only three months old, your dog may be adjusting and is scared...

when we got bo a week ago..we has aggressive to new people and new dogs...he is a sweetheart now..we took him to the pet store and he greeted everyone with a "hug" and a "kiss" and a wiggle!

Try taking him to a class

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have tried obidence training with her. We are just rather scared with her acting the way that she does.

And I know its not a great idea to give up on a dog, but that is what we feel we need to do at this point in time. I will not give her to a shelter or an animal clinic. I am sending her to a good home that can provide references and all of that such.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well, if that is the way it must be, Glad to hear your going about in the way you are. Their are also ways to surrender to a local Boxer rescue if things don't pan out.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
sorry to hear that things did not work out. kudos to you for making sure that she goes to a good home.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i think i remember the pics of the 2 dogs...im surprised a boxer/lab is aggressive..must be something in the dogs past...

as for the boxer..i agree..they cant handle heat and cold..crate the dog at night and when you are gone..if she was already housetrained itll be ok..just be patient..when we brought Isis home she was 4 yrs old and had NEVER been house trained she was in a concrete kennel used for a puppy machine..she caught on and now we rarely ever have an accident unless she HAS to go in the middle of the night and cant wake us up...whic is rare..

hope everything works out for you..

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
When i got my Savannah back in March, she was 2 yrs old and lived her entire live outside. She was never allowed inside and was kept in a pin with other female boxers 24/7/365. we managed some how to get a WONDERFUL dog. she has had accidents in the house, but that only lasted for about 3 months. We did as willow said, treated her like she was a puppy. For a dog who had no formal training and was possibly abused and def neglected...i was so happy she responded to quickly. patience...love...and lots of treats and praise is the best way you can go

·
Registered
75 Posts
I totally disagree with all you saying boxers cant be left out.I had a female fawn & white...breed her 1 time & keep her solid white son & both these dogs stayed out 24/7.I live in Tn so it gets hot & cold (snow) and both lived there lives out fully.Mom was 14 when she left us & her son was 12 when he left us & neither stayed 1 single nite in our house.So all this stuff boxers cant be left out is only a matter of opinion.In winter there houses can be warmed like a humans house(light bulbs in dog houses works magic)....in summer(fans works magic) be sure to have plenty water & shade and BOXERS can be left outside 24/7 365.

G

·
0 Posts
no dog should be left outside 24/7...not a way to live a life...that is animal abuse in my book...boxers are human oriented dogs...they need our love...just because they can survive doesn't mean they are thriving

·
Registered
75 Posts
o they was well humanlized.My wife & myself is retired with 32 grandbabies.3-4 hrs daily sometimes maybe a few xtra hours when grandbabies was over.So they can be loved and socilized and be excellent/smart animals even left outside.not trying to argue but boxers or any other dog..animal as that matter can live outside entirely & still be loved & treated same as inside animals.

I agree most keeps there dogs/animals inside.But they can/will survive just the same outside as inside if proper care taken with them & there living space.Ours had heated water & feed bowls heated dog house what more can they get inside then that?Also the beds you would buy to lay on your floor they both had one(just layed in there dog house instead of our floor).

·
Registered
75 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"52314 said:
no dog should be left outside 24/7...not a way to live a life...that is animal abuse in my book...boxers are human oriented dogs...they need our love...just because they can survive doesn't mean they are thriving
My wife was told one time (bout 8-9 years ago) by a new neighbor who had just moved to neighbor hood that we was abusing them by leaving them outside.I went and told him to go look at the local shelter then come back & tell my wife she was abusing them.After about 5 minutes at the shelter he came back and offered an apolige & asked if he could atleast buy them there next toy.Guess my wife wasnt to abusive to them from him offering that.So no it isnt animal abuse.

Animal abuse is to throw them outside hot or cold and let them survive best they see fit with nothn to eat or drink.....thats animal abuse.

Anyway thinking we hijacked someones thread.I'm a firm believer you can housebreak a dog that has been potty trained.Then put outside.I'm sure you could repeat this pattern for dogs entire life and keep repotty training him/her if you have the time & patience each & every time.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
BoxerDaddy\";p=\"52307 said:
I totally disagree with all you saying boxers cant be left out.I had a female fawn & white...breed her 1 time & keep her solid white son & both these dogs stayed out 24/7.
I totally disagree with you. Boxers are absolutely dependant upon the companionship of their families. This is not a dog to be left alone unattended for hours on end. They should live indoors with their families. They need to be around people and they thrive on this special human companionship. Boxers can develop unwelcome behaviors such as digging, barking and chewing if ignored or not cared for properly. They have the potential to do a great deal of damage (they are powerful chewers and diggers) if they are not in a suitable environment.
Boxers do not do well in extreme temperatures, either cold or heat. They are a brachyphelic breed which means they are more susceptible to suffering from heat stroke.
There are way too many other dangers for dogs to be left outside alone. Someone could steal them and use them as bait dogs or poison them. Yes, this is the type of world we are living in now. They could also be stung by an insect or bitten by a snake and need immediate medical attention.
I know not everyone will agree with me on this, but my feelings on this is that if you are not going to provide the dog with a loving suitable indoor home and treat them like part of the family, then don't get a dog.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I guess I just don't understand the point of having a dog if you're not going to have them in the house with you and treat as a member of your family.  I can't imagine going outside every 5 min because I couldn't go longer  than that without a kiss from my baby.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts