Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-  I am brand new to this forum.  I have two wonderful boxers.  The first, Zoey, is a three year old fawn.  She is super sweet & a little bit of a drama queen.  She's senstive & likes things just so.  She loves other dogs, and seemed a little lonely.  So back in May, we started thinking about another boxer.  That's when we found Daisy.  She is a white female w/ one fawn colored ear.  She is absolutely the biggest sweetheart & very mellow for a boxer.  She's not nearly as nervous as Zoey has always been & seems to have a calming effect on her.  Daisy is now 7 months old & I love her to death.
We're having one little problem... I can't seem to get her to housebreak.  We're doing crate training (as we did with Zoey).  Unfortunately, Daisy will urinate in her crate (even if she's just in there for an hour or 2).  We have a big crate, but have put a divider in it to make it the proper size for a 45 lb puppy.  She also still pees in the house, and this of course is a problem.  I'm kind of at a loss.  I don't know what else to do to discourage soiling her crate and my house.  At 7 months, we were letting Zoey free in the house for several hours with no accidents.  I wouldn't dream of letting Daisy loose for even an hour.  
Anyone else have trouble house training their boxer?  I would be very grateful for any advice you could offer.  Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope... we got her from a breeder.  She & her litter mates were in their home.  We brought her home at 8 weeks.  She's also only home alone 2 days per week because of my husband's schedule.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hello Mandy,

welcome to this forum!

To your problem:
where did you Daisy get from? Where did she live the first time of her life?
Does she urinate in the house, when you are still there, too?
It could be that something happened in the first months of her life, that is
the cause of your problem.

Perhaps she is frightened when beeing without you?

Or perhaps it could be the same problem, we had some years ago:
We got a puppy from a breeder who breeds his litters
in the cellar and garage. So the puppies learnt only to urinate on the floor
in the house.
When we got our little Arlett she was not able to urinate at any place outside.
We trained it like this:
First we coverd the floor in the house with newspapers. When she urinated
on the newspaper instead of the bare floor: Praise and Rewards!
The next step was to train, that she urinated outside on a
newspaper on hard floor. The third step was to put the newspaper in the garden
on soft ground. Every little success: "Praise and Rewards"

And the last step is to remove the newspaper from the soft ground ...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

One thing that is working really well for us, is taking her out all the time! After playtime, sleep, eat etc. Daisy is 7mo's so you probably don't need to take her out every two hours, but maybe to be safe every 3-4hrs? Not sure about that, because Sadie is only 14 weeks now so she needs to go every 2hrs or so. Also this was already mentioned, but lots of praise when she goes outside..maybe bring a treat with you and reward her with it once she's done her business outside. Also try to keep a close eye on her inside, and try to be quick with bringing her out when you see signs that she's about to go..like sniffing, and circling.  Hope this helps! I'm sure you will get some more helpful replies!

Also, how much room is in her crate? A rule of thumb is usually give them just enough room to stand up turn around and lay down. Also, not sure if you are doing this, but its good to take her out right before you put her in the crate and right after.

Good luck!  :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts