Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to house train an 8 week old puppy? I don’t want to use the puppy pads, but not really sure how else to go about it?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I would say crate training and feeding on a schedule. Our boxer was potty trained very quick and had maybe 3 p accidents all the first few days when he didn't even realize. Upon waking in his crate I immediately carried him out to his potty spot, on a leash. As soon as he did I carried him back inside, fed him, played little then carried him to his potty spot again , played for a min or 2 when back inside then in his crate. (of course we also added lap time and snuggle time0. He had to potty about every hour or hour and a half for the first few weeks, then we tended the time. If he was loose in the house3 with us we went out more often but in his crate he got to about 2 hours after the first month. I learned his schedule of needing to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say crate training and feeding on a schedule. Our boxer was potty trained very quick and had maybe 3 p accidents all the first few days when he didn't even realize. Upon waking in his crate I immediately carried him out to his potty spot, on a leash. As soon as he did I carried him back inside, fed him, played little then carried him to his potty spot again , played for a min or 2 when back inside then in his crate. (of course we also added lap time and snuggle time0. He had to potty about every hour or hour and a half for the first few weeks, then we tended the time. If he was loose in the house3 with us we went out more often but in his crate he got to about 2 hours after the first month. I learned his schedule of needing to go.

So what all did you leave in his crate with him?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
When I worked a regular 8 hour job. I would get my puppy's at X-Mas when I had two weeks off. I did not use a Crate and my pups slept with me so if they moved at night ... I would take them out.

But I had a second dog and when I went back to work, we left the back dog open, and the senior, dog pretty much did the house training.

Sadly I know no longer have a senior dog. So with my next puppy ... I'll have to figure it out?? Lindar51 has a puppy so I'd go with her advise.

And a Kong filled with Peanut Butter (natural no artificial sweetener) and kibbel will keep them busy for awhile.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
He had a bed, which was a mistake as he just tore it up but we also had a few safe toys, ones he couldn't end up choking on. a kong filled with kibble , we also covered the crate with a blanket. When he turn 3 we knew he was trustworkthing as for about 6 months we cold love him loose in the house for short periods and he didn't chew or destroy anything, now he is loose 24/7 and our poodle pup has taken over the crate. LOL Started over...now I have a primo attached crate mat and a few toys. This guy was also potty trained quickly, never a mess in the crate and I do suggest at first using a divider so he doesn't have that much room.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He had a bed, which was a mistake as he just tore it up but we also had a few safe toys, ones he couldn't end up choking on. a kong filled with kibble , we also covered the crate with a blanket. When he turn 3 we knew he was trustworkthing as for about 6 months we cold love him loose in the house for short periods and he didn't chew or destroy anything, now he is loose 24/7 and our poodle pup has taken over the crate. LOL Started over...now I have a primo attached crate mat and a few toys. This guy was also potty trained quickly, never a mess in the crate and I do suggest at first using a divider so he doesn't have that much room.
Perfect, thanks so much! Also, what brand of puppy food did you get when you first got him? Sorry for all the questions hahaha

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
He had a bed, which was a mistake as he just tore it up but we also had a few safe toys, ones he couldn't end up choking on. a kong filled with kibble , we also covered the crate with a blanket. When he turn 3 we knew he was trustworkthing as for about 6 months we cold love him loose in the house for short periods and he didn't chew or destroy anything, now he is loose 24/7 and our poodle pup has taken over the crate. LOL Started over...now I have a primo attached crate mat and a few toys. This guy was also potty trained quickly, never a mess in the crate and I do suggest at first using a divider so he doesn't have that much room. Puppy Housetraining - Using and sizing a crate - YouTube
Wait what, are you saying you crated him for three years before you felt he was safe to be free roaming???

But first I want to say, Jeff Gellman has thirteen dogs (and of them is an outside only dog by that dogs choice) and his dogs are always kenneled at night. And Larry Khron recommends always Kenneling for at least two years before he feels his dogs are safe to free roam.

So serious crating is a thing and as I want to say ... crating is always good advise! If I get a rescue ... they will be crate trained or rather ... I would continue to use a crate. My fist rescue (foster fail) with my first GSD ... I chose not to crate him??? In retro spec ... that choice on my part, would later prove to be a painful and expensive lesson for me! Pack fights and long story short ... you can't control a dog if you don't where he is ... hard lesson learned, worked out in the long run. :)

But for me when/if I get a new puppy?? Honestly if I get a new Boxer puppy (and a girl) I have no idea what I will do??? With my first puppies, I never used a Crate and it worked out fine (which is exactly why I got into trouble with my first GSD as it happens.)

I know now wayyy more about dogs then I did in 2000??? I like to think I tend to give sound advice, but ... I don't necessarily follow it. When I get a puppy I have no idea what I will do as regard "Crating???" But ... "Dumb Luck" only takes one so far. :)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Chip you know that 1st year they will chew up anything when unsupervised. He was loose a lot once he was going out to potty but there was always someone to supervise. He slept in his crate at night till he was almost 3, he felt secure there. Now he moved into my daughters room where he has his own futon mattress and sleeps there, willow n blanket too. But really I did not want my house destroyed by chewing and his crate was a safe place for him.But yeah he was almost 3 before he stopped sleeping in his crate at night, he'd still go in there if the puppy wasn't I think as he does try once in awhile.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
boxerloverks Perfect, thanks so much! Also, what brand of puppy food did you get when you first got him? Sorry for all the questions hahaha

He was initially on royal cann puppy boxer, at 5 months we switched him to Victor high energy which we bought at out local feed store. My poodle puppy is on Fromm gold puppy, really nice food but I am now transitioning him to Victor. Good rating on dogfoodadvisor.com and more in my price range. I like to keep the boxer at about 24% protein in his food, seems to works for him higher protein upsets his stomach. You know that when you switch you must do it slowly. 75% old/25% new first week, 50/50 2nd week, 75/25 3rd week, and finally 4th week all new. WE ran out of old food so we fasted him 1 day, well 12 hours and did the switch and he had some loose stool but not total runs which can happen if you switch too fast. And you will know your dog..you will know when you can give him more & more freedom. They do go thru a 2nd teething at about 8-10 month when their adult teeth set in their jaw. Hey I'm no expert, just old and what I've said is what has worked for me. Chip had asked if I kept him crated till he was 3 and yes I did but only at night or when I had to leave the house, I think when he was over his chewing I would leave him for short periods first 1/2 hour, then hour and when he didn't destroy anything he gained more of my trust. I was always more afraid he would eat something or chew a extension cord and get hurt. You will find what works for your dog.

·
Registered
634 Posts
What is the best way to house train an 8 week old puppy? I don’t want to use the puppy pads, but not really sure how else to go about it?

I can't speak to crate training, but all of our boys were raised from puppies. .
I'd assume it's the same for crates- you have to take them out at night too if you are serious about training them. As they get older their bladders will grow and they will get into a routine of sleeping longer.

Depending on how far he is from you, a baby monitor can help to hear when he stirs or starts whining.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
. Chip had asked if I kept him crated till he was 3 and yes I did but only at night or when I had to leave the house, I think when he was over his chewing I would leave him for short periods first 1/2 hour, then hour and when he didn't destroy anything he gained more of my trust. I was always more afraid he would eat something or chew a extension cord and get hurt. You will find what works for your dog.
I "assumed it was nighttime or owner out, situations.

I only took note because Larry Khron, just as a rule of thumb recommends two years of Crating before he feels a dog can be trusted to free roam in the house without issues. Two years struck me as extreme and now you say, you did three ... so of course it caught my attention. :)

We have had some new members and they couldn't even do the Crate thing for a week! I do believe, they did find a reasonable work around and it seemed to be working out for them ... sorry I can't remember who but it was but it was fairly recent.

Since I am currently completing my next puppy. Who will mostly likely be a Boxer and a girl?? I'm pondering the Crate thing pretty hard. And near as I can tell ... it comes down to a choice between being "Logical and being Emotional" about the Crate thing???

And logically Crating, is a "Slam Dunk!" Crating provides "Rules/Struture and Limiations," out the gate. I'd do so far as to say that if one does crates there puppy?? They are a bit less likely to experiance the pig headed sturrbonness, that can live some owners pulling out there hair??? More so with the girls I'm gonna say. :)

The "argument" for not crating a puppy comes down to ... "I don't want to." That's not a reflection on anyone else but it is how I think about it. And that worked fine for me four (Bully Breeds) but when I switched to a GSD?? "What I'd done before" did not work out so well??? A different Breed for me was my (GSD) and he (apparently) easily took advantage of my lack of understanding of "Rules Structure and limitations??? And since he was "Obedience Trained" I never saw "issues coming???" Next lesson learned "Formal Obedience Training" does not fix behavioural issues??? I'll just say ... "Believe that." :)

But when I did not Crate Train my puppies and it did work out fine. There were some rules, they were restricted to the living room during the day and there was puppy proofing and they had a "Crap Load of Toy's." I did make an ad hoc X-Pen, when I had to leave them. And they would shred the crap out of stuff ed toys but ... they never ate the stuffing and I watched them like a hawk for that but with them ... it never happened.

And I would tend to think also, that if one does not Crate, train there puppy, then most likely they would see more of the Boxer Stubbornness, down the road???? So if one does not deal with the Crate training issues, in the beginning, then they will need to deal with not doing that later down the road??? Pig Headed and stubborn behaviour most likely??? So I don't know if any of this is accurate but it is how I view it.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I don't know Chip.l The crate works for us. And yes it was used mostly for unsupervised times and at night. Same with poodle pup but the poodle I have to keep tethered to me a lot as he is a jumper and punter and will knock down my husband. When hubby not around he is more free. Its getting better and now when I walk him he will sit firmly so my elderly neighbor can pet him. He does very well at that. Other folks not so much we are working on it he was jumping. Now he is in a new phase of not wanting them to touch him and will bark then jump on me to hold him. Of course I don't and with the right person who takes time he settles and will let them pet him. I'm going to take him to lower later or petsmart and just walk around and tell people NOT to pet him for now. He needs to see more people. He too is good in his crate and goes in for a nap late morning for a couple hours, gives me time to get something done. Then he goes to bed for the night 8:30-9 and will sleep until I let him out about 6:30am and he is quiet until I do. So I'm pretty happy so far.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I don't know Chip.l The crate works for us. And yes it was used mostly for unsupervised times and at night.
Oh I'm not trying to make an argument "against" Crating??

I'm merely trying to explain why "some" would chose not to Crate??? And generally speaking "some" would be "JQP." :)

No one that deals with large numbers of "puppies" for puppies for a living would recommend not Crating, I would think??? Breeders would come the closest to not needing to I would think??? But for them by the time a Crate would be a consideration ... those puppies are out of here, problem solved. :cheers:

With "Boxers" ..." I'm" pretty much "neutral" on the Crating thing??? Because I feel that, would I would lose on the early foundation training of "Rules?Structure and Limitations" ... I can make up on the backside??

No crating ... worked out fine for me with four puppies (all Bully's) until it did not??? The infamous "Rocky" (WL GSD) foster fail! And at seven months I actually de-crate trained him??? That choice, not to continue to Crate him ... would come back to bite me in the butt, hard, ... seven months later! I'm pretty sure, that had I continued to Crate him?? I would not have so many lesson learned stories to share??? :cry:

But live and learn (hopefully???) And when I get another GSD puppy, that puppy will be Crate Trained! But my next Boxer and a girl at that??? Honestly ... I have no idea what I will do???

As I am want to say ... I like to think, I tend to give good advice, such as "Crate Train" your puppy ... but I'm not necessarily that good at following my own advice??? Time will tell. :confused:

Aww well I never should have gotten a girl Boxer I suppose?? As I learned the girl Boxers are different?? And for me with the girls ... my ability to maintain discipline, is purely based around, "don't do anything so stupid that you could get yourself killed!" It worked fine for her and my other dogs/puppies (Bully's) but in there DNA was "not biting the crap out of people" as a breed characteristic?? But a WL GSD ... kinda what they do??? And that trait ... is kinda why I have suspicion of the Euro Boxers??? A Wl GSD in a Boxer suit??? I don't know?? I never had one and I have never met one??? Those that do have them, say they are fine with people?? Good enough ... I suppose. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts