Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our last dog, Zelda, who died two years ago, suddenly forgot that she was supposed to pee outside when she was about 10 years old.  I finally gave up and started throwing down those pee pads you can buy nowadays.  I always put the pads in our ceramic-tiled foyer, thinking it was more forgiving of pee than the laminate in the family room/kitchen area.

Fast forward to the past couple of days with our new pup, Atticus.  For the first six days he was with us he had only one accident which occurred within minutes of arriving home with him for the first time after a twelve-hour drive.  Understandable!  Over the next seven days he had not ONE accident, and had even begun ringing the bell to be let out to poop!  

Then, Tuesday, while I was eating dinner, he peed in the ONE spot that was not in my line of vision (obscured by the table I was eating at.)  And since then he has peed AND pooped four times in/near the foyer.  The last two times I was watching like a hawk but he didn't do the usual "sniff, circle" thing, just walked to the foyer and started to pee.  When I saw it, I yelped a NO~!, ran and picked him up, realized IMMEDIATELY that I should NOT have "yelped" or scared him in any way, cradled him and used my "nice voice" saying "let's go potty outside!" over and over as I carried him to the yard.  (And he did finish pottying in the yard.)   I said to my daughter, "Well, maybe he's picking up on the scent of Zelda's overflow pee (the pee pads didn't always absorb all she let out), but at least he knows POOP goes in the yard.  

Ha.  In the last 36 hours he's pooped in or right next to the foyer three times.  The last time was after he had been in the front yard with me for three hours while I weeded the garden. He was on a leash that allowed him to explore a roughly 12' radius from where I was working, and he enjoyed himself tremendously, but never peed or pooped the whole time.  When I finished up I knew that he probably had to "go" and had just not done so because he'd never been in the front yard before and was too excited/distracted.  So I picked him up, carried him through the house and into the back yard and set him down, saying "Go potty!"  Which he did.  GOOD BOY, Atticus!  (Much praise!)  I really thought he probably needed to poop, too, so I left him in the back yard (but left the door to the house open) while I went to the front yard to gather his food and water bowls.  I was gone less than two minutes and when I walked back in he had come back in the house and was pooping right next to the foyer again!  

ACK!  Did I totally blow it by "yelping" and scooping him up those two times?!?!?!?   Is he still smelling Zelda's pee in the grout between the tiles in the foyer?  (And if so, what product can I buy to obliterate it?)   I know that one of the biggest keys to speedy housebreaking is to simply never let them have the opportunity to do it inside, but I really do watch him like a hawk... he's simply not giving the usual warning signs at all.  (He does the usual sniff/circle outside, but there is literally NO warning inside.)  I really don't want to have to crate him 24/7 less potty breaks, so would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

AnnA

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to boxer forums!
You don't mention how old Atticus is so I am assuming he is only a couple months old??? If this is correct, he really does not have any bladder control right now. When housetraining it is very important that they have no free roam. They either need to be in a crate or tethered to your hip at all times. Watching them is not enough. It is very possible that he is picking up the scent from your previous dog. Natures Miracle is an excellent product to use to get that scent out. I would use it to clean up after every accident.
If he poops in the house just pick it up and bring it outside where you want him to poo. Leave it there a couple of days so he learns where you want him to go. If he pees in the house, clean it up with a paper towel and bring the paper towel outside and lay that down in the yard where you want him to pee. I would take him out on a leash to do his business until he learns where you want him to go. The key is to never allow him free roam in the house even for a second. Also remember that just when you think he has gotten the idea and learned where to go potty, he will have some accidents in the house again. He will learn eventually.
Read through some of the posts in the training section for some great tips on crate training, potty training, and a lot of other puppy training tips.
Good luck to you and Atticus!  :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tootsie.  I guess I had myself convinced we had a little Einstein on our hands over that first week with virtually no accidents!  

AnnA

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
They can certainly have good days and bad that is for sure.  Fiona has just turned 5 months old and we have made it going into our 3rd week of no accidents.  Which makes me  :dance:  :clap:  :headbang:......But, I have the cleaning stuff on stand by just in case.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Bleach water is good for odor elimination, but you have to rinse well and let dry before puppy goes into that area.  I think there's a thing called Nature's Miracle for odor elimination also.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Nature miracle is wonderful for those accidents.  I only had to use it twice after I got Kiah but it worked wonders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts