Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WE HAVE OUR 4TH BOXER, 8 WEEK OLD FEMALE.  SHE IS THE FIRST BOXER THAT WAS NOT BORN IN A HOME. WE BOUGHT HER FROM A REPUTABLE BREEDER WHO KEEPS ALL DOGS IN A CLEAN, HEATED POLE BARN . PUPPIES ARE KEPT WITH THE MOM UNTIL THEY ARE PURCHASED. SHE IS CRATED DURING THE DAY AND HAS NOT HAD AN ACCIDENT YET. SHE SLEEPS ON THE BED AND ALSO NO ACCIDENTS. YET WHEN SHE IS IN THE HOUSE LOOSE, SHE WILL GO OUTSIDE, AND COME BACK IN AND WITHIN MINUTES WE HAVE A PUDDLE ON THE FLOOR. WE TAKE HER OUT TO MAKE SURE SHE TAKES CARE OF BUSINESS, BUT WE ARE BAFFLED BY THIS BEHAVIOR. :(

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Welcome to the forum  :D We're going through the same behavior with Blitz, 3 1/2 months. I think the free range in the house is still a little too much for her yet, at 8 weeks that might be what's going on with yours. What's her name??? Keep trying, she's still REALLY little to be having a "light bulb" moment over going out. You also could try teaching her to ring a bell to go out, worked great with Donner and some others on here. Blitzen is just starting to get  the hang of it :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SYDNEY DOES HAVE THE RUN OF THE HOUSE. SHE NEVER "ASKS" TO GO OUT. WHAT IS BELL TRAINING? THAT SOUNDS INTERESTING!
DONA

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
At 8 weeks, you really can't expect a lot, she is soo young, it takes time...One thing you can do is section off parts of the house to keep her from roaming to far..Another thing is keep her on a lead, it serves a couple functions, gets her used to having a lead on and also allows you to grab real quick if you need to take her out....Establish a routine and a schedule and stick to it..At that age, you should be taking her out at least every hour..Teach a key word, mine always knew "potty", I would say "let's go potty." Be patient, like was already said, one day it's like a light bulb goes off and they suddenly dtart to get it...One other thing you can do, when you clean up an accident, take the towels or whatever you used and place them outside where you want her to go....

G

·
0 Posts
I have to take my peggy in the begining every 2 hours and tell her "go potty till she does, then I tell her go poopy" I do this every 2 hours the poopy every 4 and she does. Then i give her a treat when we get in. THis works as long as i keep on it. Now I wait every 4 hours and so does she.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: HOUSEBREAKING-- bell training

Dex is 5 months old this Thursday and we've done bell training with him.
It's pretty simple, really... we just hung a cow bell by a string beside the door he uses to go outside. To train him to ring it when he needs to go out, we would take him to the door, say "ring your bell," and point to the bell. The first few times we would either say that then ring it ourselves, but then we would take his paw and hit the bell with it. We would tell him what a good boy he was, slip his leash on, and take him out.
Again, CONSISTENCY IS KEY. You must do this EVERY time he needs to go out to potty; we only did it when the outing was specifically for doing his business, not for walks, or he'd ring it for the wrong reasons!
Some suggest to smear butter on the bell to get the pup to ring it on their own; you just have to be sure you take the puppy out EVERY TIME he/she rings the bell, let them do their business, then bring them inside so they know they ring the bell to use the bathroom.

Worked like a charm for us! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've heard it takes up to 6 months to fully house break a dog, although it gets better as time goes on and accidents become less often. Although a pain for me, I take Jake out every 30 minutes but we are gradually upping it to every 45 - 60 minutes. I also started verbalizing it "let's go outside" and also put some bells on the front door which I ring everytime we go out. He does go to the door if he needs to go outside, but he has also started ringing the bells with his nose. I use this time to praise him and also use the clicker and give him a treat. I try to make it really fun for him and praise him like crazy; first for going to the door, and also after he's done his business outside. Have some treats in hand for when she does it and then get's some attention in the form of a cuddle or play - depending on his mood.

He still has the odd accident but I don't correct him unless I see him in the act; it's useless to correct her when you find it after the fact. The key is lot's of patience, and it's just the uglier part of raising a puppy. It will come just be persitent. Jake urinated on the floor today after four days of no accidents (more than likely due to really cold weather which he hates). Although it's annoying, it's also pretty good for 14 weeks old so put it into perspective. 8 weeks is VERY young and your puppy will have a lot more accidents before she's fully house broken. No dog comes fully house or paper trained that young - but if they've been introduced to it, they'll pick it up faster so you're still a step ahead.

Jake came to me at 9 weeks from a reputable breeder and had absolutely no concept of house training. Practice lot's of patience, understanding and be stern when you see them doing their business in the house - then take them outside immediately. It takes a long time to get them where we want them to be but in less than 5 weeks Jake now only has a 2-3 accidents a week.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts