Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boxer mix (no idea what the mix is yet) that I picked out at the SCPA and I am having trouble getting the housetraining thing down. I leave the house at 6am and return home usually around 4-5pm. She uses the restroom before I go to work and then the dog sitter comes around 10am and then at 2pm. From 6am till when the house sitter arrives, she is in the kitchen. The sitter said there is sometimes pee on the floor but not on a daily basis. From about 1030 till 200pm she is in the crate and there is rarely ever anything left behind in there. She gives no indication of when she needs to use the restroom when we are home. When I turn my head for a second there it is...a little lake or a  new mountain on my floor. I walk her every 1 1/2 to 2 hours after I get home. I am trying the bell technique and she is not getting that yet either. She loves her crate and goes inside it to sleep all on her own (very few accidents inside there if she is in there for two hours or so). She is usually in my field of vision when she is not in the crate because it only takes a few seconds to water the floor or leave a little treat. Can anyone assist me or give me a couple of ideas in getting her up to speed with using the restroom outside?

·
Registered
245 Posts
When my girl was a puppy i had to crate her EVERY TIME i left the house....try it. Then as soon as you get home you let him out and use a word hell recognize for the future. Whenever I would take her out I'd say lets go peepee then lead her out the back door. When you are home you gotta watch for signs...does he go towards the door or the leash? If he does use your cue word and hell get excited if that's what he wants. If that doesn't work then you gotta catch him in the act. I would sometimes on occasion catch Xena in the middle of a squat and I'd quickly grab her, say "lets go peepee" and bring her outside. If you can't catch him in the act then you show him his mess, tell him "that's no" then tell him "lets go peepee" and take him out. When he does do it outside, praise him like there's no tomorrow...maybe even give a treat to reinforce it. That's how I did with my girl....it might not work for everyone but its worth a shot.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to both of you and kudos for rescuing...What's the little sweetie's name? Housebreaking a pup is work, I don't care what anyone says...Very seldom will a dog have an accident in their crate, that's their home, they aren't going to soil that...Learn to read her, if she starts pacing, gets restless etc.Those are usually keys to needing to go out..I use the word "potty"..Hey guys, want to go potty? We are still having a few issues with Angel, but it generally takes a few months to really start trusting a pup..They are babies after all..

I don't believe in discipling them if you find an accident after the fact...A dog won't remember what you are scolding them about...If you catch them in the act, now that's different....Clean up the mess, and just go on. YOu can take the towels you used to clean the mess up and sit them outside where you want her to pee, the smell will remind her of what she needs to be doing and where....

Tons of praise and reward when she does good and she will start to figure it out..It just takes times and patience.....

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin's been a tough one to potty train. He's much better than he use to be but still has accidents. Normally during the week I don't have any. He doesn't really tell us he has to go. I've kind of learned myself what he does when... most of the time. Hubby tries to help on the weekend... but he doesn't really agree with going outside (holding his hand) to go potty, then Odin just sits there at the door wanting back in. That's when the accidents happen. Every time he goes outside I tell him good boy and give him a treat. It's gotten to the point that he thinks every time I say good boy he's gonna get a treat!  :D  He doesn't seem to care if I go crazy with praise. If he has an accident I take him and the paper towel(s) that I cleaned the mess up with outside and lay it on the grass... and say "...see that's where you go potty." Of course I don't think he understands that part. I'm sure it's frustrating... it is for me and I'm at home 24/7. Good luck with it though.... so far you've already gotten great advice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
potty training blues hu???? Tyson hasnt learned where he needs to pee yet....so I feel for you. Yesterday he did scratch on the door, but diddnt want to go out to pee, just to play, then 30 mins later i stepped in his accident. It just takes a while. I cant ever catch him in the act to tell him no, so, I dont know what Ill do. its a learning expierence for all of us I guess! Good luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think boxers are tougher to potty train than other breeds. When Xena was a puppy, i took her to puppy classes at the humane society. The trainers there told me that puppies should be house trained by 3 or 4 months. All the other little puppies followed this but at 3 or 4 months, my girl was still having accidents in the house and out in public. She peed on their floor one time on the way into class. She was known as "the boxer" in puppy school while all the other dogs went by their names. The trainers didn't like her too much. Shed run around, get distracted, wanna play the whole time....one time she even peed in another dogs bed. While it was a little frustrating, it was also amusing...some people just don't have patience or a sense of humor when it comes to raising puppies. I think you need both when raising a boxer.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
PlaYtiMe24_7\";p=\"7709 said:
. While it was a little frustrating, it was also amusing...some people just don't have patience or a sense of humor when it comes to raising puppies. I think you need both when raising a boxer.

Amen to that...You definitely need that sense of humor..If it's any comfort, I was talking to a couple people at meetup this w/end and the general consensus is about 6 months and your pup will be housebroken..Even then, still expect some accidents. I always tell people, get a drink and laugh, cos one day you will look back at all this and laugh..I sure do.. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Agree with all of the above...as most know, we rescued Abby at 5.5 months. She's now 10 months and it is only in the last couple weeks that we have started making progress. We've taking steps back the whole way and recently she started going in her crate again, but around the house she is starting to get it. I agree with the above about learning what they do when they need to go...that is a huge part of the "dog" starting to get it.  Abby has stopped just going on the spot and now has a little routine before she goes so we watch for that...for her, her energy level seems to change suddenly when she has to go--if she is sleepy, she will all of a sudden pick up a bit of energy. If she's playful and full of energy, all of a sudden she calms down and looks sad almost. We have been extremely consistent...bell training worked for Brady but not for Abby...although we keep pushing it with her. But we are consistent with our words too...if her energy level changes...EVERY TIME we say the same thing, for us, "Abby wanna go OUT?" (we emphasize OUTTTT so she is becoming familiar with that word). We repeat it as we take her to the door, put her leash on and take her outside. She now recognizes the word a bit and will perk up her ears when we say it if she needs to go. She knows now that we are going to do something about it and seems more capable of holding it until we get outside. Before, she would just squat on a dime without thinking twice.
Other things to be consistent with:
Same area each time you take him out.  
Same routines with times of day. They know first thing when they wake up, we are headed straight to the door to go out. Abby know longer feels the need to pee on the way to the door...she knows where we are going.
Don't let him play outside until AFTER he goes...otherwise he may want to keep playing and not go. Once he goes, reward him big time, make a fuss, squeal, give treats...make him so embarrassed he wiggles...then let him play.
Not going once you are outside? maybe find a subtle way to remind him that you have treats available! we keep the treats in our pocket, if Abby is being stubborn and not going, I will put my hand casually in my pocket...just enough to remind her of what's in there once she goes.
Walk him in circles outside...seems to help focus our cuties on their "task," rather than the birds flying around and the neighbors dog.
Inside, don't let him out of your sight. we keep Abby in the same room with us 24/7.  immediately after she goes, we give her a bit of freedom to run around...but only for like 5 minutes.

It took 4.5 months of complete consistency to get anywhere and we are still far from perfect...but things have definitely improved.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Abby... Jessie does the same thing... when she starts crying at us and barking and growling we thought she just wanted to play with us, but we realized its because she has to go.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese had been...ummm...stubborn i think would be a good word. She is 4 months and is smart until we start the house training :D then she acts like she doesnt understand.  I constantly take her out when i am at home. She doesnt have accidents in the house while i am here because i keep a constant watch on her. she doesnt leave my site at all. I will take her out every 1-2 hours. she pee's twice and poo's twice with every walk. Now when my boyfriend is responsible for taking her out that is another story. I dont think he takes them out enough because when i get home from work there is always 1 "lake" still drying from the Natures Miracle that was put on it.  What i am doing with Reese is just stayin consistant-that is the key. We have her on a schedule of when to eat and then when to take her out. I think that really helps her. She is still young yet, dont expect too much too soon. She will learn, just be sure to give lots of lovins and treats-that also helps with reese. her little nubbin will start wagging when i start praising her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts