Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a hound from the shelter last month in order to make my boxer have a friend of the same kind. But the new member did not fully adapt to the new environment, I bought a dog cage for it, I hope this dog cage can help him gradually adapt to my other pets and become friends.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I adopted a hound from the shelter last month in order to make my boxer have a friend of the same kind. But the new member did not fully adapt to the new environment, I bought a dog cage for it, I hope this dog cage can help him gradually adapt to my other pets and become friends.
Crate will help, but its going to take a bit of training on your part also. Lot of posters on here with multiple pets and hopefully they will chime in with advice for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Once I picked up my young dog from the rescue center, I led him around my house to acclimate the new environment faster. At first, my elder boxer has territorial awareness and showed aggressive to the new friend. I isolated them by a baby fence so they just can sniff the scent of each other. One important thing is that don't show your preference or scold to any dog, instead, you should treat them fairly, including food, walking, and playing. You could learn more info about an adopted dog in this post. As I was not sure whether or not the new pup has been crate trained, so I don't use a cage to avoid much anxiety. I share a guide to crate training I used to train my dogs here.
Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I highly recommend a crate for your safety and for the security of your dog, both physical and mental.

Many dogs like to have a safe place to go where they can rest or get away from stress such as little kids, other dogs, loud noise, pain, etc. Even if they don't want to "be crated" with the door locked, they may just like to have the door open but be away from others sometimes. I made a crate cover for mine as well to give them the feeling they are safe and not to be bothered. All my boxers have loved it. Howard was the only one who needed to be crated at night and when I left the house. He was 12 when I rescued him and he was a horrible counter surfer and would not share the bed with the other dogs at night so he was not allowed on my bed.
I treat them inside the crate so they like going in and treat them when they come out so they don't feel punished. Lots and lots and lots of praise and then some more praise on top of that! :) Eventually they come to like the crate or at least tolerate it well and you can slim down on the treats and perhaps stop them altogether at some point. There are lots of good articles on-time about crating and your well-recommended training group locally (whoever that may be) can give you some tips as well. Best of luck!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts