Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tank got stung on the lip, it is really swollen. He looks kinda funny, I gave him a benadryl nad he didnt swallow it all the way, the capsul he spit out but he ate what was inside so I guess he will be fine, he just looks so funny with a huge lip.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Scout is really allergic to them.  He got stung on the nose last year and we had to rush him to the vet.  His face swelled up and eyes closed shut.  They gave him a steroid shot and a powerful antihistamine and kept us there for about 1/2 hr just to make sure it worked.

I gave him Benedryl at home the next day.  I hide all medicine in a bit of peanut butter.  Stick it on their tongue and most generally, they can't spit it out and don't even know it's there.

I hope Tank's ok!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean he seems fine he just has a fat lip in the right side, the rest of his face is normal so I think he will be ok I just wanted to make sure. I guess they are a lot like pople some are more allergic then others.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
My male is very allergic to bee stings.  It is good to give one benedryl cap per 25 pounds of dog at the first sign of a sting.  Also First Bite is good to apply to the sting itself.  Just don't use it by the eyes or nose, lips would be okay.  I always give mine the Benedryl at the sign of a bite to be safe.  Make sure to use the regular Benadryl, the antihistimine only one.  I always keep some in my car or backpack or fanny packs.  It also helps with poisonous snake bites which we have here in North Carolina.

Nano9

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ours swell up with bee stings, deer fly bites, horse fly, etc.  They look like they have been in a fight.  So far most of the time the lump is gone by the next day and no further problems.  We have given benadryl a couple of times but for ours the swelling went down in about the same amount of time with or without the it so we stopped giving it.  

This year the deer flies are really bad and they have been bitten so many times, most of the time several bites every time they go out.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My childhood dog, had to be put down because of a severe allergic reaction to flees. I guess he got bitten a few times, and he started eating away all his fur and skin in that area. But I wasn't told a good portion of what happened, since I still dont know most of it.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson has been stung a few times, the silly guy tries to eat them darn bees!! No reactions, but it's not a behavior I encourage.. Now Angel I don't know about, need to check with Rhonda...If the swelling doesn't go down, or he seems to be in distress, then I'd take him in...
I had never tried the PB trick, but I'll have to remember that one..I used to put Samson's pills in a piece of meat, til he got wise and ate the meat & spat out the pill.... :roll: Now I grind them up and sprinkle it in his food with a bit of yogurt

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
VERY! Maddy got stung by atleast 4 when we were at our cottage. She looked like a shar-pei. I was really scared, but she got a shot and she was fine. Its funny to look back at now because in the van all she could do was itch and she just looked so comical!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well  neither one of mine has gotten stung and hopefully they wont, i dont like bees myself, but i hope poor little Tank gets to rolling on the getting better side, He sure is a cutie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts