Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well I have decided 2 isnt enough either LOL, so does anyone have any ideas on how to talk hubby into it, before I get my heart set on it? I am leaning towards a white boxer this time :D

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I personally think you should wait!! I dont think it would be a wise decision but thats just me Im sure you will do what you want!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Don't do it.  At least not yet.  You have two new pups and now you're gonna get a third?  Please just let your pups come out of adolescence before you get another.  I really think it could be more than you can handle.  You'll do what you like, but that mu .02c.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I agree with Liz and Cindi.  It's kind of like an addiction.  It's easy to get caught up in the cute baby phase of everything, but the expense and commitment is for a lifetime.  Enjoy the time you have with the two you have while they are young and don't look for another puppy to fill some empty spot in your heart.  (sound like Dear Abby don't I).  No, I'm not telling you what to do, it's just that I've been there and done that.  Started with one Afghan hound and didn't quit until I had 8 of them.  No one, without a kennel staff, can really give each animal the time and attention they need, not to mention the expenses. It' just not possible if you have any kind of a life outside the dogs, and even then someone will suffer.  You have beautiful babies, love and cherish them and let them fill the space in your heart.  Like Liz says boxers live in the moment.  That's a good way for us to look at things too - live in the moment and enjoy every minute.  Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm with every one else. Probably not what you're wanting to hear but wow I have three dogs that vary in age... and it's A LOT.

We were extremely addicted to ferrets at one point and quickly went from 1 to 8 within a year! Now 2 have died recently from adrenal disease and 2 more suffering... and it's not cheap for us to take care of their problems but we are doing it. Even worse... they don't get the amount of attention from us like they use to... before we had Sarah... before dogs... makes me sad. Don't get me wrong we still take better care of them then 90% of the US population but it's different now.

They are sooo addictive. After I got Odin... I wanted to get him a little girlfriend... and boxer but hubby said no. I'm glad he did... I can see how you want another... and then every one getting new babies on the forum! HOW COULD YOU NOT!!!? I'm so happy for everybody... and a little jealous I'm not the one getting a NEW puppy with the WONDERFUL PUPPY BREATH and the way they are just COMPLETELY attached to you at the hip... but wow... three is a handful!

OKAY... sorry this got so long... I'll just shut up now. :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I agree with the others and if you wait until they are older, you could always rescue a white Boxer around the same age as they are.  There are often whites in rescue.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input everyone. I wasnt gonna get one at least until the 2 I have were already completely trained, But if you say wait until theyre grown, then I will do that. I am just trying to figure out how to get the idea going lol.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Maybe I was drawing on personal experience too much and was a little hard on you.  If you really want to add a third puppy, here's another alternative.  Decide what you want and save up enough money so that you can go to the breeder of your choice and buy any puppy you want.  Make sure you also have enough saved to pay for spaying/neutering, shots, etc., or if you decide you want to show, save up at least another $2,000 for entry fees, groomers, trainers, handlers/or trainers, and then money won't be an issue.  Your puppies will be old enough and trained well enough to help with the new baby.  Older dogs make great baby sitters lol.  I don't know what I would do without Kane.  You should hang on to your dreams but just make sure you can afford them so you and your skin family won't suffer.   In the meantime, you have two beautiful babies to be very proud of.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh no, I would never show, and I do agree, that it would be too much to have 3 puppies to train (its sometimes hard to handle 2) But I just want to get the idea going in the house of 3 dogs if ya knoww hat i mean lol

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Of course I do gf rofl, you'd never believe the stuff I had to do for my husband to get him to agree to let me buy 8 afghans! :silenced:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Kate\";p=\"26205 said:
Of course I do gf rofl, you'd never believe the stuff I had to do for my husband to get him to agree to let me buy 8 afghans! :silenced:

Just to get my hubby to agree to 2 boxer pups at one time....i had to agree to do alot for my hubby  lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
boxerpopeye\";p=\"26166 said:
...so does anyone have any ideas on how to talk hubby into it...
You're kidding, right?  Just wait until he does something to piss you off and tell him then...like when he throws something in the half-full trash and doesn't realize it "needs emptied", or when he is lying down on the couch, just as soon as he finishes a drink and there is an empty cup sitting on the coffee table, just get mad at him for the rest of the day...continually say there's nothing wrong, then finally, before bed, tell him why you're mad, then tell him you think you may be over-reacting and that a new puppy would probably cheer you up.  lol no, in all seriousness though, no offense is meant by that...somewhat of an exaggeration meant in fun.

·
Registered
948 Posts
lol I don't have a "hubby" to persuade.. I just tell the boyfriend what I'm going to do .. If he doesn't like it, he walks. I take care of my two by myself, so his opinion does not matter at all!

Now, my dad on the other hand..  8O It's world war III when another puppy comes in the house. When I brought Mia home I showed him the 2nd day she was here, and kinda just let him flip and didn't talk to him for a few days.. I've been bringing up the idea of rescuing and saving dogs lives just to condition him for doggy #3.. lol He's not gonna be a happy camper but hey.. It's  not for 2 more months!  :wink:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
[quote="Flutterby\";p=\"26215":d4ge9fe9]lol I don't have a "hubby" to persuade.. I just tell the boyfriend what I'm going to do .. If he doesn't like it, he walks. I take care of my two by myself, so his opinion does not matter at all!

Now, my dad on the other hand..

·
Registered
780 Posts
I agree with the others, enjoy the two you have now and wait until they are grown and older.  That way you can then get another puppy to enjoy when the two you have are settled down and needing someone to keep them active.   We had three at once and at the time with two it didn't seem like adding another one would really make that much difference but trust me it does.  The cost goes up, the food, vet, not to mention the time involved.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Well most of you know my story (hubby's lack of oxygen to the brain from a cardiac arrest), and if you don't well he basically has limited long term memory and very little short term memory.  I was in the 2nd bedroom and he was in the masterbedroom with our two dogs, and when I walked back into our room he said, "how many more dogs do you have in there?"  It was so funny, cuz he was so serious.  I said just these two why?  He replied, "oh, I thought you had a couple more in the other bedroom".  I asked him if he wanted some more puppies?  He looked around the room for a minute and then said, "no, I think this is good".  So from one that can get away with practically anything.....that I can afford anyway.... we are going to stick with two puppies, but I thought you might get a kick out of this anyway.  I miss my hubby not being able to tell me no anymore so be greatful for what you've got.  :(

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Maybe you culs foster at a rescue league in the upcoming year to get the feel of having three dogs.

I am with the others and wait.   You have two young ones that are going to need both your eyes and hands.    They are still young and can can get into trouble.   That trouble could end up costing you tons of $$$.  Also I would make sure that my dogs grew up healthy first before I decided to get another.    I would literally cancel my upcoming wedding to save the life of one of my dogs, and adding another only streches funds.

Yes they are fun and yes they are cute, but seems like you are on the right frame of mind by waiting.  In the meantime, I highly suggest searching out breeders in the area.  The ABC regionals are in fitchburg in Oct.   I would go to them, see what dogs you like, meet the breeders etc.  Its a good time and I am sure you will come out of there with some good leads!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Okay we need to come up with some creative reasons why boxerpopeye comes home with a new dog.  So let's make this a game.  Here's my answer:

"I WON HIM IN A POKER GAME!"

next

1 - 20 of 23 Posts