Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

For some context. My pup is 11 weeks old. Got him right at 8 weeks. Wish I could have kept him with “breeder” for at least 4 more weeks but just wasn’t possible. Everything is going pretty good so far. Currently crate training him and letting him out to potty after naps, sleeping, play time, drinking water, pretty much any activity hehe has been working. After 2 solid weeks of this he’s now walking to the door to alert he needs to go. With a few accidents here and there when he sneaks away while I cook, or take out the trash it’s all going great.

Only issue is I can’t get him to come to me or respond to his name when I call it.Maybe it’s his attitude but when I call his name to follow me anywhere he just blows me off or very lazily walks to me after calling so much and acting like a clown to get his attention.Do you guys have any tips to make him respond to his name specifically or just pay attention in general. I’m afraid it’s probably just his personality hehe. He does respond to stern voice though when I catch him nibbling on the sofa or furniture so at least he’a recognizing me as the “leader, boss, alpha” etc. in the house.
tips?

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can make it fun to come to you when called I have used a squeak toy in my pocket and when they come reward with a small treat and "good boy" and lots of petting and enthusiasm like its the best thing that ever happened. And I have used the long leash in the yard calling the dog and gently pulling them to me and calling their names and when they get to you lots of "good boys" eventually they will get the idea the key is being patient and getting a good bond going with the dog The recall is the very first thing besides potty training that I work on with a new dog it is vitally important that the dog come to you when its called for his own safety.

·
Registered
218 Posts
1. He doesn't actually know his name, yet.
2. You're not interesting enough to him.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Even when he knows his name he probably will ignore you most of the first year. 😆

One of the great tips I got was to use his meal for training. My guy isn't the most toy driven dog and after he ate he didn't care too much about treats either. My guy was older when I did this, but I guess the process is the same. And obviously this would only work if you feed kibble. You don't want to walk around with raw meat in your pockets. Although every dog in the neighborhood would probably listen to you.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Even when he knows his name he probably will ignore you most of the first year. 😆

One of the great tips I got was to use his meal for training. My guy isn't the most toy driven dog and after he ate he didn't care too much about treats either. My guy was older when I did this, but I guess the process is the same. And obviously this would only work if you feed kibble. You don't want to walk around with raw meat in your pockets. Although every dog in the neighborhood would probably listen to you.
LOL Yeah Kibble only, with "Work For Food." You would think ... that would be obvious?? And yet not so much?? As in my case ... I was not willing to change my dog's diet in order to achieve a specific goal?? Sigh I messed up, as I was not willing to change "my," routine to suit a current need??

SIgh .. a half assed effort produces half assed result's?? (Food for Work) My current Boxer/Pit, I pretty much see no "Pitt" in her?? Well aside from the "off the hook," crazy tenacity at which she launches, herself towards the front door!! She hit's that door hard!! If you are not a dog person?? She will scare the living crap out of you!!! I can put a stop to the crazy with "Place," but she usually get's to the front door first! I let it go ... we don't have enough "Drop In's," that it's that big a deal?? But yeah Bella is not a Struddell (my white Boxer) Struddell could at least "get a grip," with initial greeting's! :)

I got more, but so far the OP's observation's are "Par For The Course," and for what's it worth ... the "Girl's" are worst!! IE, tell me why I should care ... "what you want to do, when what I want to do ... is much more fun?? :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I had the door open the other day when it was nice. Well UPS was delivering a package, kind of forgot, as soon as Zuke saw him he bolted to the open door and skidded to a stop. Looked like one of those rodeo horses skidding on his back legs. lol. Scared the hell out of the poor guy, but that was the one thing I proofed from the day I got him. He doesn't break that door threshold without my ok.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
1. What Matt said, never let puppy out the door before making him sit and then releasing with an ok or lets go. We did this and my dogs will stop at the door and wait until I give them the word, in our house its "free". When we first started recall dog was on a long line, its helpful if there are two people, one holds the dog while you run way with a small can of wet food, like those little cesar delights. I don't feed that but they love it so its good for training. As you run call the dog, use name & come or whatever your recall is. The dog knows you have that smelly food and will come after you, once he comes reward him with a few licks of it while praising. Do it a few times each day. You can hide around the side of house in time and call too. Do this without distraction at first, later you can add in distractions . With my poodle I also used balls, later in training when off leash, (in fenced yard). He loves to retrieve so I'd throw the ball and them give him the command, he liked to play so he would come back to me and when he didn't I had a 2nd ball that I would squeak and he would come running, he drop the ball he had and go after the new one. It took us some time to get him reliable, later in his teenage years he would decide ha no way, I then put on a vibrating collar. If he was distracted I'd give a small vibration he would look up at me I'd give command and usually he would come running. Now since my dog is never off leash off my property that is about as far as we went. So he does what I need him too. There are others on this board that can go further but this will at least get you started with a young pup as that is when they really want to not have you out of their sight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahahahaha bob
Hahahaha Bob Loblaw screen name is frikin gold!
Pup is doing better now. Responds to any name though 🤣 I guess I’m interesting now

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello guys!

For some context. My pup is 11 weeks old. Got him right at 8 weeks. Wish I could have kept him with “breeder” for at least 4 more weeks but just wasn’t possible. Everything is going pretty good so far. Currently crate training him and letting him out to potty after naps, sleeping, play time, drinking water, pretty much any activity hehe has been working. After 2 solid weeks of this he’s now walking to the door to alert he needs to go. With a few accidents here and there when he sneaks away while I cook, or take out the trash it’s all going great.

Only issue is I can’t get him to come to me or respond to his name when I call it.Maybe it’s his attitude but when I call his name to follow me anywhere he just blows me off or very lazily walks to me after calling so much and acting like a clown to get his attention.Do you guys have any tips to make him respond to his name specifically or just pay attention in general. I’m afraid it’s probably just his personality hehe. He does respond to stern voice though when I catch him nibbling on the sofa or furniture so at least he’a recognizing me as the “leader, boss, alpha” etc. in the house.
tips?
Eight weeks old is the IDEAL time to get a pup, as he is ready to bond to a new family. Best advice is to get him "hooked" on freeze-dried liver treats. Show him them, then put them in your pocket, and attach him to a leash.. Call him ONCE, then if necessary gently "reel him in" and give him his treat. If you act like a clown, he will probably wait for the next act. Boxers are notorious for wanting to be in charge, but being very happy that YOU are the one actually in charge ( just like kids!) Liver treats are also indispensable for crate training boxers. Ours get one EVERY time they get crated, overnight or when we are going out.
Dave Smola
Ronin Boxers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts