Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering why its like this. I see some boxer's whose ears are half up then the top portion falls to the side, some fall straight down. I'm guessing it would be easier for the first type to be cropped, because they're already half up. Are all boxers born with ears like this or do they develop through puppyhood? And how are your boxers ears? Tito's sometime droop all the way sometimes they do the half up half down type of thing.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Re: How come some boxer ears fully droop down and some don't

They lay as pups but once they start to grow (esp teething) the cartilege grow giving them wonky ears.  There are techniques such as taping or massaging the natural ear that makes them lay nice and flat - however genetics also plays a roll with the amount of ear leather the pups has.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

Heather, you say "nice and flat". Is this something else I should be embarrassed by about Bibby's appearance? I (being a first-time boxer owner) thought his expressive ears were sweet. Now after this post and another earlier today mentioning "nice and flat" natural (we always say "gentle") ears, I'm feeling like this is something else others would roll their eyes about.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Nope - personal preference.  Thats all.  Some like them up - some like them down - kinda like a toilet seat  :wink:  (ok -VERY bad analogy!)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

I did the same Julia....I thought Fiona's crazy ears were cute when she was a pup and did not work them to make them lay flat on her head....Sometimes I wish I would have...she will hold them flat every now and then when she is tired...otherwise they are always flapping every which way.....But....she is my goofball and I am okay with that :)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

So, what I'm hearing is, there IS a standard for natural ears being flat?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts

I do believe natural ears are suppose to be flat to the head in order to show!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

There is pretty much a standard for everything in order to show.  :?  I love my girl to death, but she has so many "faults", and yes she has the wonkiest ears! They go every which way, just adds more character IMO!  :lol: Definitely NOT show ears!  :lol:

The wonky ears can make her look pretty pissy when she wants!!!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts

[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"116772":sxesq37n]Nope - personal preference.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts

Phoenix has crazy ears too. I don't think they are ever both floping the same way.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

Reese has crazy ears!! Samson and Savvy's ears are pretty flat, but Reese there is no way on the lords green earth that hers will ever be that way :D i thin kit adds to their personality

·
Registered
35 Posts

I did the same as Sharon and Julia with my first Boxer.... Then I found out I should have been massaging his ears to lay flat. Oh well.. I love his dorky ears.
Whoever had Mercedes before me must have taped them or something(which I find weird cuz she's a mix and she wasn't very well taken care of-but they did dock her tail and TRY to remove her dewclaws) Her ears lay PERFECT.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

emmm HELLO... have we seen dungy's ears lol... outta control lol

thats not normal lol...cute, but not normal ;p;

·
Registered
46 Posts

Soccergk1987\";p=\"116903 said:
emmm HELLO... have we seen dungy's ears lol... outta control lol

thats not normal lol...cute, but not normal ;p;
lol looks like dungy has some serious 'bed head' on the go. :p Ah well, I hear that's the latest fashion and even if it isn't-- he's as cute as sin!

Y'know... I was wondering that too... I was looking at the pictures of Ubi and saw that his ears didn't lay flat. I thought that maybe he was a mix or something... but that's nice to know :D Boxers have a lot of quirks about their breed! :p

·
Registered
913 Posts

I say ..LOVE em for what ever you have chosen for ears!!..You ALL have simply beautiful dogs..regardless what their ears do!!
Oh and Julia..Bibby is as cute as they get with those ears..and NO!!!!! Your dog does NOT resemeble a gorilla!! Bibby is THE BOMB!!! ( I'd take your dog in a heart beat girl!! )

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Lol, what is it with calling Bibby a gorilla? I must have missed something...The wonky natural ears do add charm..Like Heather said, some of it is genetics and some if you work at it, will help make them lie nice & flat. Back when I got my first Boxer I was cluleless, didn't know a darn thing and luckily Buck's ear came out lovely, actually Tia's were pretty good as well when we adopted her.....Laura, I got to say that pic of Dungy's ears is too funny :lol: Just don't tell him we have been laughing at him :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

I love the big floppy ears.  It cracks me up when Oggie wakes up from a deep slumber to some noise and goes into "patrol" mode, and he has one ear flipped over.  He looks so serious but all I can do is laugh because he looks so funny.

·
Registered
537 Posts

From the day I got Harleigh (14 weeks old) I have always made fun of her ears until I got on this forum a few weeks after I got her and realized they all have that wonky look to them. However, personal preference here, but I prefer a flat look to the ear and have worked on hers (without even knowing you can massage them). It has worked and most of the time, Harleigh's do lay flat now. I call them her pretty ears. But in no sense am I making fun of others wonky ears as someone else said adds character in which I do agree

This is last week

and this is over a month ago. Her ears always looked like this until I started working with them.

·
Registered
162 Posts

I tape Jack's simply because I prefer when they lay flat. I do massage them as well but it's very difficult to do because he can't sit still for long :D . Taping is easier for me.

Kerri

·
Registered
942 Posts

Kaci lay flat most of the time naturally, Milo's on the other hand are usually out to the side.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts