Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that boxers orininated in germany(or so i believe), but what were they breed from?  I have been asked many times but do not have an answer for it.  My guess is something along the lines of a mastiff but that is a complete guess

Brian

·
Registered
880 Posts
In my dog book it says they originated from English Bulldog and the Bullenbeisser (not sure on the spelling) a type of mastiff breed.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The Mastiff is a common ancestor to the Boxer, Bullmastiff, Great Dane, and many other breeds. :)  The Boxer's most immediate ancestors are the Brabanter Bullenbeisser, with some English Bulldog blood brought in during the 17th century.  The American Boxer Club website has a brief history of the Boxer breed here:
http://www.americanboxerclub.org/boxer_history.html

G

·
0 Posts
They are from very strong, powerful, and awesome dogs!  My mom tells me that bulldogs look like midget boxers..lol..she thinks their faces looks so much alike and that like a lot of "little people" the limbs are short and they have a little bit of a malformation look to them...definitely can see the bulldog and the mastiff type dog in them...I don't care where they come from, I just love them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts