Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3-year-old rescue boxer Bailey (with us since July, 2006) displayed some new behavior today on a walk with our other dogs, who are a 2yo beagle/rottweiler and 12yo golden/lab. Bailey put her front paws on the shoulders of Santa (the 2-year-old) and got into Santa's face. I wasn't there, but my husband tells me that Bailey looked to him as if she wanted to start a fight. He successfully broke them apart so the fight didn't occur.

Maybe I've been kidding myself all this time when I tell myself that Bailey just wants to play. Could she be playing "the boxer way"? Or could she be developing an aggressive streak?

I'd love to hear from those of you who have boxers and other breeds!

Thanks,
Pamela

·
Registered
2 Posts
My boxer does the same thing.  Boxers do like to play rough, so I'm sure that that is part of it.  I also think that since your boxer was meeting those dogs for the first time he was trying to establish the hierarchy.  I've noticed my dog always needs to know where he stands with new dogs so he does a lot of the behavior that you described.  I don't think your dog is aggressive, but always be on alert just in case the dogs he is rough housing with don't take it so well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, the other dog (Santa) lives with Bailey, so it's not a new dog. Santa is the alpha dog in our house, and we've had to use the spray bottle to break up fights between them. I'd been thinking that Santa was the instigator, but now my husband tells me about Bailey putting her paws on Santa's shoulders yesterday and getting into Santa's face. Now I'm unsure. Is it possible that Bailey is starting to (or perhaps has in the past) start the fights with Santa? Once it's started, Bailey doesn't back down.

Thanks,
Pamela

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
There could be a few reasons why this is happening. You said that Santa is is your Alpha dog, so it could very well be that Bailey is trying to establish that she wants to be the boss & Santa isn't going to put up with it. I know that having several females can sometimes produce this, sometimes the dogs work it out between them & sometimes they don't. I've always had male & female for the reason that it reduces the fights, but I have known people that have successfully kept mutiple females with no problems. It depends on the dogs really.

Boxers can play rough tho, so sometimes you have to watch them. I know Buck & Tia used to have some wild play times with one or the other sometimes leaving little teeth marks on each other. And no, boxers don't usually back down, that's why my 2 sometimes had the teeth marks on them. As a positive tho, they have never, never bit me or anybody else. They just play hard.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such problems with Bailey tho, I kept hoping that things would settle down some..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. It's helpful to consider as I think thru these issues. I'll keep you all posted - hopefully the trainer will have ideas to help them get along!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts