Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mange?  I mean I know there is the one they are born with, but how do they get the one that is considered to be contagous?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Demodic is hereditary and caused by an immune deficiency. Sarcoptic, can be transferred from dog to dog to human it is highly contagious, and simple contact with an infected animal can spread it and also perhaps even contact with items an infected subject has been in contact with. Truly nasty stuff.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
There are actually three main ones that dogs have...There are others that are prone to cats but dogs can also get them....

Sarcoptic mange is the first, it is also known in people as scabies. Dogs with Sarcoptic will dig and bite at themselves all the time. Signs of sarcoptic mange are crusty ear tips, major itching, hair loss and a bad smell to the body. They pick it up from other infected animals, and the ground.  You have to make sure to wash anything your dog comes in contact with.  This is the hard one because it can get in your carpet, your car seats....As Shint said NASTY STUFF....But can be cured!!!!

Second is Demodex (Red Mange) it lives in the hair follicle.  The mites are in the mother's hair follicles. They crawl from the mother to the pups while the pups are nursing, (they can get it in the first 3 to 4 days of life). Puppies are more susceptible to outbreaks of mange because of the low immune systems.  Older dogs can still have an outbreak later in life.
This type of mange is not an inherited disease!  Mange is caused by mites, an inproper immune system is what is inherited.

The last one is Cheyletiella mites also known as "walking dandruff".  It will look like dandruff and if you watch it, it will look like the dandruff walks around.

It is not as common but can also get on people.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. My Boxer does not seem to have any skin problems at all, but my German Shepherd has always had skin issues. Very dry itchy skin. He went to me sisters for 2 weeks and came back with Hair loss and a rash. The rash is on his back. NO other dogs that he has been around have it. His brother he is with ALL the time and he is so healthy and my Boxer is sooooo healthy. Diesel (GSD) is so itchy and having problems. I have put him on an antibiotic to help with the skin. It is helping with the rash, BUT he is STILL SO ITCHY!  

You would think if he were contagous we all would have it by now. Definatly his brother Diego. Mazey too....I don't know what to think. I cannot get him into a vet for a few weeks.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Poor Diesel, hope the antibiotic helps with the itching.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
EWWWWWW MANGE!! Ok that said our 2 chows got it like 3 weeks before I was due with my first child!! They had sarcoptic mange and boy was it nasty!! We believe they got it from the wild foxes!! It got on them from the bushes where they used the toilet lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts