Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have the opportunity to adopt a 1 1/2 year old male boxer. So far it seems like he would fit perfectly with our little fam and we plan on all meeting at a park in 2 weeks to see how  him and Fredo get along. The problem is my bf is totally against having another dog.  He is afraid of the space (we still live in an apartment, although it is 2 floors) and expense and also Fredo "annoys" him so much and he doesn't want more of that. I told him Fredo would be less likely to beg for his attention if he had another dog to play with. I also went on about how it was fate that this dog found us...his name is Don Guiseppe (doesn't that sound cute w/ Fredo?) lol.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on convincing big daddy to rescue this little man.

·
Registered
375 Posts
well, i just tell him this is what i am doing, but thats just me lol. i am the one home all day long taking care of them so really if i have the time and the energy to have more  then one then so be it . but i am  married so i guess that might be different i dnt know. But seriously, is he going to go with to meet him? if not maybe get him to go with maybe meeting him will change his mind a bit good luck!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i'm going to make sure he is there. I was thinking that might change his mind too. He's just so damn stubborn!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wait until he sees how cute they are when they snuggle together, and play together. I do have to admit 2 boxers are twice the work, twice the expense, but best of all twice the love and twice the fun.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My husband was a lot like your bf.. When I used to mention getting a brother for Chloe, he would say the same..more expense, more work and plus he was extremely nervous Chloe would become jealous. Until one day Chloe met up with another boxer at the park. Hubby seen for himself how happy she was to be playing with another dog that could finally keep up with her. When it came time to leave Chloe literally cried all the way home and kept looking for her buddy. His stubbornness gave in quick once he seen that and told me to start looking for a puppy.. I think just telling him is going to get you nowhere if he is anything like my hubby, he has to see it to believe it and I

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can relate!   OMG my husband and I go round and round about this.  He works and I dont I am a stay at home mom, So I have lots of free time but he just wont let me have another until we get a bigger house I even tried the foster thing and that didnt work... Trust me I know I am more stubborn than he is.  I brought a rescue home without asking.  OMG he didnt talk to me for a week.  It really has to be an agreement bt 2 people.  Does your bf live with you and help you pay for Fredo?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Yeah, we do live together and share all the expenses. I am hoping once he sees them together he'll get it. I'm really not thinking about me so much here, and it's really not just about me wanting another dog, it's mostly about Fredo needing a playmate and a dog that needs a home.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
When you say he's annoyed by Fredo, is that in general or just sometimes?  Because if he doesn't like the first dog, I don't think getting a second one will help.  But if he's just annoyed Fredo always wants to play, then you may have a good argument that another dog would occupy Fredo.  

I had to beg my wife for quite some time to get a dog because she didn't like dogs at all, she had been bitten as a child and was afraid of them in general.  Once I got Oggie, she fell in love with him.  She already talks about how she wants another one so he has a "buddy."  So I am considering another one at some point, but if she wasn't so into that idea, I probably wouldn't push it and just be happy I have any dog at all.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know how it is, he always wants to play..he just wants attention 24/7, whether we're laying around watching tv or trying to go to the bathroom...lol. He wants to be all over you at all times..lol

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
My two do play alot together but Keegan does always check to see what I am doing and if they aren't playing I have two wanting my attention.   There is twice the work and one person walking two is quite a chore sometimes but I will always have two from now on.  Hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
320 Posts
This may sound harsh, but I don't mean for it to be harsh in any way, shape or form........ (it's supposed to be funny!)

If you have the time for another dog, have the money for the expenses/food/vet bills, and if you LOVE your dog and want the best for him.................  my saying..... dogs last longer than bfs.    :lol:

I had my 3 schnauzers when I had to start dating again..... I can't tell you how many men didn't want to put up with me and my 3 dogs.   Well --- ppfftt on them I said.   I was much happier with my 3 dogs than the men!   LOL      Again, not at all saying anything about your boyfriend.....  please don't take it that way.     It's just something I observed while dating.   :lol:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I've got 2 (I'm a male) and I will never have two again.  Alot of people say they'll entertain eachother, they do to a certain degree.  Both instigate eachother and it gets old having to seperate them.  Not to mention more vet costs, food costs, etc.  If your bf is against it, you need to talk with him about it.  I'd hate to think that gettin another pet caused him to break it off with you.  If he's totally against it and you want to be with him, respect his wishes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I understand your annoyed with Fredo, although my husband loooooooooooooooves Lette and will play with her most of the time, she wants to play alllllll of the time and when he is working he gets annoyed with her and yells at me to come get her because he KNOWS I will give her all the attention she needs and deserves lol....but, if I were you ...I would get the other boxer and roll with the punches...whats he gonna do kick you on the street...NOOOOOOOO lol, We are women we are the best convincers EVER.....no seriously, I think if he goes to the meet at the park, he will see that an only dog, is a lonely dog.  :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wait till he's asleep, and then whisper "Honey, I'm going to go get that dog, ok?".   I bet he says "snoore, what? ok."

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may sound harsh, but I don't mean for it to be harsh in any way, shape or form........ (it's supposed to be funny!)

If you have the time for another dog, have the money for the expenses/food/vet bills, and if you LOVE your dog and want the best for him.................  my saying..... dogs last longer than bfs.    

lol.haha

teewee..I remind him of that every day.lol
We do plan to get married soon though so I suppose he's sticking around.lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
lol its true though...Just use the only dog is a lonely dog and make a sad face...it works all the time, I watched my mom do it to my dad for the past 31 years lol, and we always had 2 or 3 dogs growing up lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is wayyyyyyyy off subject, but it somehow reminded me of a story I read/heard about ........

A little boy wanted a dog.   The mom was for getting the dog, but the dad was against it.   (I'm paraphrasing here, can't remember the entire story).   The mom was trying to help the son figure out a way to convince dad to let him have a puppy.  So, the mom told the son to get a rock (or was it a potato) and tie a string around it and act like it was a puppy.   So, the son did that --- took his rock/potato everywhere -- acted like he was going to feed it and make sure it had water.   He would take his rock/potato out to play.......  The mom would tell the husband every day "just look at him, with his rock/potato -- dragging it everywhere.... perhaps if he gets a puppy, he would stop this rock/potato thing......   I can't remember the "punch line" but the dad eventually gives in and the boy gets the puppy --- dad all along never knowing the mom was in on it from the beginning.  

Perhaps you can tie a string to a rock and carry it around, pet it, pretend to water it,  and play with Fredo.   Either your bf will give in or he will think you're a freak!   Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I wanted to get another boxer so I just started looking for one and show Adam the pictures.  I would also ask Duke (our boxer) if he wanted a friend and he would get super excited.  It took me a month or two but he gave in.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hahaha, well he already thinks i'm a freak. I doubt he would even notice if I started doing that..lol
He walks in on conversations I am having with Fredo, gives us a crazy look and just walks out of the room....lol
Doesn't anyone else talk to their dog and kind of forget they are talking to a dog?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts