Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have managed to get Tito to give either his left or right paw when asked for (many a joke made about him knowing his left and right better than my fiancee), and it only took a few days  :) so I decided to move onto something new - "lie down" I thought, must be quite easy for him to pick up...... Apparently not  :(
There has been no progress whatsoever, and I can't figure out how to help him do it - I dont want to push him down as I fear it could damage his spine so I have been helping him along by sliding his feet forward.  Any better ideas?
And while I,m on the subject, has anyone got any "original / funny"  tricks they've taught??

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
To teach "Down" put them in a sit position.  Take a treat and put it to their nose and slowly bring the treat to the ground and hopefully they will follow. If and once they lie down, then praise, praise praise, and repeat.   Also while you are lowing the treat, select your command word "DOWN", "LAY" of whatever works, usually one word is all that is needed.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that previously but he just stood up and bent his head.  I've just tried holding his bum in place while i do what you said though, and that sort of worked - its better than before though.  
To be honest its not exactly a big deal really..... I'd much rather he stopped peeing on the carpet!  :(
Thanks

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
What are you using for bait???  If its something he normally gets then I would switch to something very very special and new!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"63333 said:
To teach 'Down' put them in a sit position. Take a treat and put it to their nose and slowly bring the treat to the ground and hopefully they will follow. If and once they lie down, then praise, praise praise, and repeat. Also while you are lowing the treat, select your command word 'DOWN', 'LAY' of whatever works, usually one word is all that is needed.
Rocky caught onto "lie down" quickly with this method. Though, once I put the treat to his nose I'd bring it to the floor (directly between his front paws while in the sitting position) and then drag the treat away from him towards myself so that he'd keep his butt planted but stretch his front half out to lie down... Hopefully that makes sense? lol :3

·
Registered
219 Posts
i held the treat in one had.. ususally was a GOOD treat like a cooked piece of liver .. then i pointed to the ground saying down.. i made sure to let him sniff the treat then move my hand from right above his eyes straight to the floor.. he got it eventually
i also let him smell the treat and then pull his front paws out saying down and AS SOON AS HE HITS DOWN give treat.

he'll get it eventually

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
When I taught Donner to sit, I also pointed a finger at the same time I said "sit" so with lay down I tried it again only with my hand out flat, high-five, different hand signal. Seemed to make it more of a command to him. Now he looks for the signal more than the verbal! Blitzen is already learned the "finger point - sit" so maybe the hand commands make more sense to them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DonnersMom\";p=\"63357 said:
When I taught Donner to sit, I also pointed a finger at the same time I said "sit" so with lay down I tried it again only with my hand out flat, high-five, different hand signal. Seemed to make it more of a command to him. Now he looks for the signal more than the verbal! Blitzen is already learned the "finger point - sit" so maybe the hand commands make more sense to them?
Me pointing a finger at him is usually followed by a quite large "NO"!!!  But I know what you mean with the hand signals.  It must be quite impressive to see him do things without having to say a word.  I'll try and use them and see if they help.
Thanks all for the advice!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lori, I also found that mine respond better to hand signals...I actually hardly use "sit" they got that one down cold every time the frig is opened :) I hold my palm out to them to indicate "wait"  When I point the finger, that isn't a good thing, they know that they have done something wrong :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Hmmm Willow,I just realized that I don't have a hand gesture for when they've done something bad, just a loud UH-OH. I'll have to give this some thought......  :lol:
NickandTito, let us know if the hand signals work, I'm curious?? :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts