Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roxy has developed some acne on/around her mouth so I wanted to wash all the dog toys to help get rid of it. What should I use? I wish I could put them all in the dishwasher LOL! Do I soak them in the tub? What cleaner if any is safe to use??

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've always used apple cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar to wash all of our boys bed, toys and blanket. It helps to get that stale, doggy smell and pee smell out. Depending on the size of the load I use about 1/2 cup-1 cup. Put it in the wash cycle for cleaning and the rinse cycle for a natural fabric softener

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
For the fabric toys I just put them in the washer with vinegar and some lavender essential oil in place of fabric softener to get them smelling pretty. For all the hard, plasticy kind I actually toss them in the dishwasher! They get clean and disinfected in one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I just could not help but notice this post. Seldom do I see a dog named Roxy and I of course find it amusing when I see one. Anyways, apple cider vinegar does a great job in beddings and toys. I always go with that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The fabric ones go in the washing machine with soap and hot water, then a second wash cycle with only white vinegar. The plastic ones go in the dishwasher.. My girl had mouth acne so I startd doing this along with wiping her face off every time she eats (her little floppy lips hold food) and of course I only use a stainless or glass dish that gets washed after every use. For the acne you can put a bit of hydrogen peroxide on the damp paper towel you use to wipe her face after eating . Seems to help clear up the existing ones. This is an old post of yours but wanted to share what I did because I had the same problem and didn't want to use corticosteroids like my old vet suggested.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For the fabric toys I just put them in the washer with vinegar and some lavender essential oil in place of fabric softener to get them smelling pretty. For all the hard, plasticy kind I actually toss them in the dishwasher! They get clean and disinfected in one!

This is great, very effective way to clean the toys, thanks! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can also use baking soda for plastic toys (just brush them). I prefer to use baking soda, because I don't like the smell of vinegar :cry:
I have always used both baking soda and vinegar. I introduce the vinegar specifically when rinsing the toys.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just to add a bit of info: For the hard dog toys those made of rubber and plastic you can put in the dishwasher and use vinegar. The soft toys which can mostly collect dust and mites you can run through the washing machine and add a splash of baking soda and vinegar during the rinse cycle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yup! i just bag it up and throw everything into the washing machine for a spin or two. removes the smell and saliva. but my pup always look at the toy like as if its a foreign object after every wash. haha guess its missing the smell

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love my dog very much, so I try to use only natural products. If it's just about cleaning toys, then I use soda for this. Soda is a natural product. :geek: No chemicals will harm the dog's health.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts