Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I am thinking about breeding or showing Bo, but how do you know if a Boxer is of show quality and breeding quality?

I know you have to have them health tested for breeding, but what type of "look" do they need to have.  

I know Bo is not show or breeding quality.  I got him for 300 bucks from what I have come to learn is a BYB.  I had no idea before this forum about BYB.  (My ignorance..... Should have researched before shopping) However, I'm glad I didn't because I would not trade Bo for the world, I still love him and I feel like he is the most beautiful boxer puppy ever.  (Sorry other boxer doggies, but I'm a little partial)  Some day I would like a show/breeding quality boxer and would like to know what to look for in a pup and its parents.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I feel the same way... I look at my boy... and I'm like "DAMN ODIN... you're freakin' GOOD LOOKING!!" LOL I think... I should be SHOWING HIM lol But I didn't grow up around that stuff and I have really got NO CLUE how it works!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't either.  I love to watch the dog shows and would love to be a part of that, however it is foreign to me.  You probably have to pay thousands of dollars for a show quality dog too.  Maybe I'll just start getting the rescue dogs.  They need me bunches, I would not be supporting BYB and they are cheaper....  :lol:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Most of us started out with byb's-and dont worry about being partial....i think we all are biased when it comes to how much we like our boxers compared to others :) we have a few breeders on the forum who would be able to give better advice. i dont show or breed so i dont have an answer for that portion of the question

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't go out and get a dog thinking I was going to breed or show him... I got my Bo for my husband for his birthday and then kind of took him over.  Hubby gets a little mad sometimes....... But after being on this site I do find showing and breeding to be interesting.  I would like to learn a lot more and then maybe, if I learned enough, do something like that.  But I would want to do it the right way and not ever be considered a BYB or a puppy mill.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, is there any way to find out if Bo's parents were health tested?  I know they did DNA on the dad.  Seems crazy that they wouldn't do the health check thing too.  They seemed so nice (the breeder).  I hate to think of them as BYB, but after checking out the way Newcastle does stuff, they were.  BTW, Newcastle seems like a great place to get a puppy from.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Thanks. :)

The DNA thing was probably required - all dogs who sire three or more litters in a year, or seven or more litters in a lifetime, must have DNA on file with AKC.  There is no DNA test for the genetic diseases in Boxers at this point, so unfortunately the fact that a dog has a DNA profile says nothing at all about the breeders' responsibility or ethics.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
This is what I posted in the other thread, figured I might as well copy it here, too. :)

If you're new to the standard/showing, then your best bet is to talk to some experienced successful breeders/exhibitors and ask them to evaluate your pup for you.  While the time between eight weeks and about two years of age is one of lots of structural changes, an experienced eye can help you see how your dog compares to the ideal at that point in time, so you can watch for development as he ages.  Of course, in the mean time you also want to study the breed standard, read books on canine structure in general and Boxer structure in particular, go to dog shows to see different adults and try to evaluate them based on the standard, etc.
If you're not thinking about showing the puppy you have now, then of course you don't have to have him evaluated - though it might be educational to do so at any rate.  The other steps - going to shows, reading books and the standard, etc. - are still good things to do, of course.  You also want to start talking to people at the shows (*after* the Boxers are done showing for the day), get to know the local breeders, see who has dogs you like, who you feel comfortable talking with, etc.  While it's not absolutely necessary, it is easier if your first show puppy comes from - or is referred by - someone local; that way you have hands-on help when you need it.

My breeding article has some resources to Boxer information (standard, books, etc.):
http://www.newcastleboxers.com/wannabreed.shtml

The best website, IMO, for learning about the Boxer standard is the Worldwide Boxer:
http://www.worldwideboxer.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts