Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was pretty cold and snowy today where I live. I still took Willow to the ball diamond to run off some energy after work, but couldn't keep her out as long as I would in nice weather, so she wasn't as tired out as I would've liked. She also got walked at lunch, and I plan on taking her for another short walk tonight. However she's almost 8 months old and bursting at the seams with energy! On extra cold days I've tried puzzle treat balls, different toys, just running around the house...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Any tips on how to tire her out more??

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Does she know any obedience commands? Sit, stay, down, roll over etc?
Mental stimulation can actually be more tiring than physical exercise, so if she know all that start looking up tricks to teach her.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does she know any obedience commands? Sit, stay, down, roll over etc?
Mental stimulation can actually be more tiring than physical exercise, so if she know all that start looking up tricks to teach her.
Yes, she knows sit, stay, down, shake a paw, high five, working on "crawl", "bang!" (play dead), and "spin". Also planning on teaching her "clean up" (putting her toys away). I could do more training I suppose.

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
get her a nice sweater and have her run into the deep snow!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
get her a nice sweater and have her run into the deep snow!
Yes I do plan on getting her a sweater (I've just been using cheap children's sweaters until she's full grown, but there's still some days that are so bitterly cold that I don't like having her out for an overly long time.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
How is her food drive? We do long distance recalls to really tire them out. They get real chicken, or pieces of cooked liver at times to keep them interested. Do you know anyone who will let you use their fenced yard?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I remember the days of feeling like no matter what i did my guy wouldn't get tired or he would sleep for 30 minutes and be back to going crazy. Ive since learned that its best to teach your dog to be calm regardless of the energy they have. My guy will harass me to play and if i can't or dont want to i send him to his "place" he might protest for a minute but within minutes hes fast asleep. There is tons of videos on youtube for teaching "place".

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
soo cute haha.. im trying to find a bed that does not get destroyed as easily.. any suggestions?
The Best Indestructible Chew Proof Dog Beds | Tough Doggy Beds
We buy our beds from Costco my guy has been taught not to chew his bed, they are the best price for their quality I have ever found, I have no idea how tough they're... you could look into this bed at petsmart made by Kong I know they put out more durable toys and such..KONG® Tough Chew Dog Bed | Beds | PetSmart

Also might want to look into ways to teach pup not to chew on their bed, or better yet next time they destroy a bed they no longer get one.. tough love

1 - 16 of 16 Posts