Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys....i recently got my dog when it was 17months old i really want to teach general skills and obedience
for example...

-i want to teach her not to jump on people when they see her(too excited)
please help me

this is my first dog so it has been a challenge, your help will be great:D
thanks so much

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hi there & welcome. Please read thru the training section for a lot of very good advice regarding training. The key with boxers is keep your sessions short. Altho they are very intelligent, they also have short attention spans as well, continuing to do the same command over and over, just confuses them and theythink they are doing it wrong...Keep it short, make it fun...And at first keep lots of treats on hand...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum.  Ditto what Willow said about the training section.  Start simple, lots of treats and praise, good luck.  Remember to reward the good behavior cuz it's over look them when they are being good and not reinforce the bad behavior.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd like to add that a basic obedience class would be well worth your while.  You both learn and develop a stronger bond, that's just a few of the benefits of joining a class besides the hands on instruction.  Good luck!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
RottsnBox\";p=\"27741 said:
I'd like to add that a basic obedience class would be well worth your while. You both learn and develop a stronger bond, that's just a few of the benefits of joining a class besides the hands on instruction. Good luck!
I would like to add that it is a great way to socialize dogs in controlled environment.  We are in our second obedience class and I will miss it.  Our trainer gives a 1/3 off if we want to retake a class which I think is well worth it and we will probably do it once a year.  It will keep Kiah on I on track so we don't slack off  :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts