Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is right around the corner, and with that comes hot sunny weather. Here are some tips on how to cope with our furry friends.
First, Boxers are a Brachycephalic breed which means that they have a “pushed in” face. I tend to just say they have a “special face” because I can't even pronounce that other word. :lol: Being that they have this special face, they are inefficient panters. A dog with a more conventional face and throat is able to pass air quickly over the tongue through panting. Saliva evaporates from the tongue as air is passed across and the blood circulating through the tongue is efficiently cooled and circulated back to the rest of the body. In our special faced boxers, so much extra work is required to move the same amount of air that the airways become inflamed and swollen. This leads to more distress and further overheating. Heat related illnesses include heat stroke, heat exhaustion and heat cramps. These illnesses can be prevented by taking some precautions. Here are some tips to deal with the heat and humidity.
- In the heat of the day, keep your pet indoors in air conditioning or a well ventilated area with circulating fans.
- Always have fresh cool water available to drink.
- A small kid’s pool can provide a fun and a cool environment.
- Limit vigorous exercise such as jogging or long walks to the early morning or until the weather cools after sunset.
- Dogs can burn their pads on the hot pavement, so always check that as well.
- If you must have your dog outside, they will need shade, shelter, food, and fresh water.
- Never leave your dog in the car. Your car can reach temps of 140 degrees F in minutes, even with partially opened windows.
- Limit the exposure to the sun. Our boxers can get sunburned, especially our whites, so do apply a sunscreen to them. Areas commonly affected by the sun are the ears, eyelids and nose.
- A cool wet towel draped over your boxer's neck and chest is a great way to cool them off.

If anyone has more tips on dealing with the heat please add them, and for more information on the signs of heatstroke click on the following link.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 3&aid=1683

·
Registered
913 Posts
WOW Lisa..I guess thats why Boxers look like they have dinner plates instead of tonges hanging out in the summer..LOL..it all makes sense now!!
Great ideas..TY for your knowledge!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
That is a great reminder, thanks Lisa.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I turn the sprinkler on at about 25% when it gets hot and the dog(s) want to play outside.  Lola absolutely loves it.  She'll run into it every 10 min or so.  Not sure about Lenny, it hasn't gotten warm enough outside yet to try it with him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am relocating from Eastern WA to Phoenix (Mesa), AZ in August and am looking for some advice.  What is the likelihood of boxers catching heat stroke/exhaustion in that area.  Is it common?  How long could a boxer withstand the heat if the A/C in my home goes out?  I have read the symptoms/prevention of heat stroke/exhaustion, but I am still concerned that 100+ degree weather.  My biggest fear is that it seems like Ali's life is riding on the dependability of my A/C unit.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="CassiusPlay\";p=\"126115":3clm97n9]I am relocating from Eastern WA to Phoenix (Mesa), AZ in August and am looking for some advice.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Question...when should I be concerned...all three of the dogs have been panting excessively lately and that is sometimes(often!) even when we are inside and it's cool...and they end up with a white foamy spit around their mouths sometimes...especially the older two...I am really not sure what to think of it...it's just been in the last week or so...I try to encourage more water...but, they aren't always interested...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin loves ice cubes too!

Oh how I miss the 100+ degree summers in SW TX!! I'd give anything for the hot DRY summers there over the FREAKIN' SUPER HUMID ones HERE! Crazy how I'd prefer 112 degree days in SW TX over 92 degree days here in Sunny FL.

·
Registered
370 Posts
We're in Tirana and it is awful hot already.  DH has been hosing down our courtyard for Allie.  I walk her in the mornings and during the day she is inside.  Thankfully we have air conditioning in just about every room.  I also bought Allie a bandana that can be soaked in water and cooled in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.  It keeps her cool for a while.  I like to put it on her when we go for walks and when she is playing.  I also got her one of those cooling mats.  She doesn't really like it that much yet.  I think it probably feels weird to her feet.  I'm going to try putting a towel or thin blanket on it for her.

G

·
0 Posts
Mastray\";p=\"130565 said:

Oh how I miss the 100+ degree summers in SW TX!! I'd give anything for the hot DRY summers there over the FREAKIN' SUPER HUMID ones HERE! Crazy how I'd prefer 112 degree days in SW TX over 92 degree days here in Sunny FL.
oh man tx and ok are humid too!  we used to live in FL and i think it's as hot here as it was there.  maybe sw tx is better than east and southeast tx though.  sauna everytime you go out!

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Mastray\";p=\"130565 said:

I feel ya! I experienced the Florida summer...Yuck! Felt like I was never clean or dry.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am new to this forum just today. I have a five year old brindle Boxer boy named Baxter. After taking him for his pre-dinner walk today, I noticed what looked like red hives on his belly and groin/inner thigh area. He is always very sensitive to heat and humidity, so I did not have him out for very long (we live in NY and we are having an extremely humid summer).
Has anyone experienced anything like this? My first thought was that it was some type of heat rash. The "height" of the bumps seems to have gone down since I first noticed them.
If they are not gone by tomorrow morning I plan on taking him to the vet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.