Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a Boxer puppy 9 weeks old. Will crate train for house breaking and begin other commands (come, sit, place) right away. We have plenty of 6-ft leashes but I can purchase a 10, 15 or 20-ft lead leash on Chewy.
what length do you recommend?
thx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello! Welcome in! Like you we have a few thick 6 foot leashes, we also have a 20 foot retractable leash that worked out great. (with the push button stop) It is not a very hefty leash but once they are leash trained it was a very useful tool. I could just drop in on the ground and Diesel wouldn't move, I think dragging the retractable part freaked him out so it served multiple purposes. It's a bit scratched up but still works to this day!
Take Care,
Rick

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Really it depends what you are training, and how you want to train.

Personally, I liked a short leash on walking as I always wanted the dog next to me. Just that I prefer the dog in a heel position on walks. I use a harness for bike rides. Long leads are good for training recall with a pup.

Congrats on the pup and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Six foot leads are the one you need for training to heal and walk on a leash. I have always used the long 20ft plus leads to help with training for the recall those were most effective. Crates are essential I have never trained my dogs for the place thing but its all up to you how you want your dog trained.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello! Welcome in! Like you we have a few thick 6 foot leashes, we also have a 20 foot retractable leash that worked out great. (with the push button stop) It is not a very hefty leash but once they are leash trained it was a very useful tool. I could just drop in on the ground and Diesel wouldn't move, I think dragging the retractable part freaked him out so it served multiple purposes. It's a bit scratched up but still works to this day!
Take Care,
Rick
A retractable leash lets the dog lead YOU. Especially with a "determined" breed like boxers, this is not a good idea. Your dog should walk beside you, or slightly behind ( "heal").. May I suggest a "gentle come" leash?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
You need both! Actual leash training you need the six foot leash. For recall training you need the longer leash. But with a "puppy," training "Recall," should be a piece of cake. As they really want to follow you ... "anyway." I'll dig up some detail's later, Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
A retractable leash lets the dog lead YOU. Especially with a "determined" breed like boxers, this is not a good idea. Your dog should walk beside you, or slightly behind ( "heal").. May I suggest a "gentle come" leash?
Actually Diesel was very good at not tugging at all. We have a lot of paved pathways in my neighborhood that are no where near the streets. As long as he never tugged I would give him a little freedom to sniff all his favorite spots. It's a walk we used to do twice a day and he was very used to it. I often wondered if he could just do it on his own on those rainy nasty Oregon days (kidding). If I saw another dog coming I would just lock the leash short and he had no problem staying right beside me. He was so trustworthy, even if we accidently left food on my sons little tiny plastic table and left the house, we would come back a couple hours later and all the food was just as we left it, bacon and eggs just sitting there, all he would have had to do was lean over and snag it up. Never seen a dog with that kind of control. If something landed on the floor while we were making dinner it was game over lol gone. We joke about all the crumbs we see now that he has been gone for a while. Used to just see tongue prints :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts