Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

How long a lead for leash training?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Rick_503 
#1 ·
We are getting a Boxer puppy 9 weeks old. Will crate train for house breaking and begin other commands (come, sit, place) right away. We have plenty of 6-ft leashes but I can purchase a 10, 15 or 20-ft lead leash on Chewy.
what length do you recommend?
thx

#2 ·
Hello! Welcome in! Like you we have a few thick 6 foot leashes, we also have a 20 foot retractable leash that worked out great. (with the push button stop) It is not a very hefty leash but once they are leash trained it was a very useful tool. I could just drop in on the ground and Diesel wouldn't move, I think dragging the retractable part freaked him out so it served multiple purposes. It's a bit scratched up but still works to this day!
Take Care,
Rick

#4 ·
Six foot leads are the one you need for training to heal and walk on a leash. I have always used the long 20ft plus leads to help with training for the recall those were most effective. Crates are essential I have never trained my dogs for the place thing but its all up to you how you want your dog trained.

#6 ·
You need both! Actual leash training you need the six foot leash. For recall training you need the longer leash. But with a "puppy," training "Recall," should be a piece of cake. As they really want to follow you ... "anyway." I'll dig up some detail's later, Welcome Aboard. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.