Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Depends on the age (for bladder control), the training (crate trained etc) as well as the amount of exercise the dog has had in the past week.

For me with my Hanna (almost two) she can go 8 hours.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ekim can be trusted for a very long time without causing any damage in the house. He can hold his pp and poop for a long time to. One time when I was given a muscle relaxant for my back I slept for 18 hours and Ekim never got out of the bed until I woke up. Ekim was very destructive when younger, but he has had free roam since he was 2. Now with  Delila who is 5 months, I have been going outside for about ten to 15 minutes at a time to see how she does and she has been very good so far. I started with 2 minutes and every few days I increase the time. I even bait her and put some articles on the floor such as a roll of paper towels, socks, shoes, an old tv remote.So far she only played with her toys. I even left the garbage can where she can get to it. I know the day will come when she touches things or chews things after all she is a boxer.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
dan.daugherty\";p=\"66425 said:
About 8 seconds

LOL!!!!  i don't know if i could even give sumya 8 seconds! :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson is wonderful...I had the flu once and was struggling to get out of bed, I think he held it for like 14 hrs and still can even at his advanced age.. :) ...Angel is much better now, but I still crate her when we leave the house, but she sleeps allnite with out accidents....Samson used to have bad separation anxiety, so he used to be pretty destructive, not now, so I can easily go off for the day with no worries.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
isnt it one hour per month.. UP TO 8 HOURS?
or am i mistaken there?

·
Registered
362 Posts
dan.daugherty\";p=\"66425 said:
About 8 seconds
In one stretch?  Please tell me your secret!  I have a t-shirt that my 2 year old son wears that says "If I'm quiet, you'd better find me!"  I just need to find that in a doggy version.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My vet told me if he didn't tell his dogs where he was going some of his Corgi's would destroy the house within minutes of him leaving.  It worked with Adidas.  If I said I was going to the store and would be back in a couple hours he would just head for his favorite chair.  Sounds nuts, but I could be gone for four hours or more with no retaliation.

·
Registered
882 Posts
When I am home and am busy doing something work related as I work from home I can leave Gaby for about 1 hour off leash before she starts to destroy something.  If I put her collar and leash on I can leave her for several hours because I make her lay down and stay and she goes to sleep until i come back.  As far as potty goes she usually always asks to go out, however sometimes she still has the odd accident.  Gaby is also very good during the night, I get up once to let her out but I have to wake her up to go; she could probably make it through to whole night but I don't want to risk damaging her bladder so I wake her and she goes then we crawl back in bed! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
When we took Louie to my soon to be mom-in-laws house we locked in the bathroom for about an hour and he had torn down the
shower curtain, trash all over the place, and he even got the toothpaste off of the sink counter.  At home he is put in his crate whenever we go out.  He likes to get into things when we are home, too.

G

·
0 Posts
Bo could be left hours...he was used to it in his old home (12+ per day)...the most I leave him is IF we both work...8 hours tops...Jetta has been able to be left close to that occassionally (crated) and the most I have left her is 10 hours(emergency came up with my mom) and she didn't have an accident...Although sometimes she has been known to go in her crate...but she picked up potty training quickly and seemed able to hold it quite awhile even at 8-12 weeks...She goes out a lot more than Bo...for every 2 times we let Jetta out, he goes out once...

·
Registered
780 Posts
When we had three we were able to leave all three out for up to 10 hours with no damage or potty spots!  We didn't leave them that way very often, maybe once a month or so when we went out of town to visit family.   We never crated them after they got to a certain age and were able to be trusted.  Calli (our first) was the worst, she would get into shoes, library books, couch cushion, etc.  We got a crate when she was about 3 months and used it for a year whenever we left.  After a year we slowly started leaving her out for a short amount of time to see how she did.  The worst she did was sleep on the couch when we left (which she wasn't allowed to do when we were home).  

Now we have a 6 year old and an almost 2 year old.  The two year old is being left out more and more, up to 5 hours now without any trouble.  

We did the same for our rescue when we got her.  Crated her until we knew we could trust her to be left out.  Our next puppy we used the crate until she was able to be trusted too, and the three of them just slept until we got home.  We didn't even have to pick up the cat food dish, worry about the trash or any toys the kids might have left around.  I think for us it helped that they didn't have to be left alone that much since I am home most of the time and we were able to work with them alot during the day so they knew what they could and couldn't do.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well our Buckles was out of the the crate @ 12 mo she did great!!!  Then my fiance was working 6am-11pm, I always come home for lunch so she is alone from 8-12 and normally from 1-4 when my fiance gets home. However the schd. changed and so did she, ripping the comforter, pillows, electric shaver, these pumpkin decorations I HAD. So we ended up putting the crate back up, she's been pretty good, she's 21 months however last wk. she chewed up a blanket I had put in her bed, not once but twice so now the blanket is gone and she just has her 2 that she's had since she was a baby.  I actually had to check her stool to be sure the blanket came out, which it did.  I swear she's going through the terriable 2's?? :lol:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
leave em out unattended?? :D not in my house. Savannah could hold it  she is 2, but she has seperation issues so even though she wouldnt potty she would mess things up...so she gets crated. Reese she is a year and stubborn as all get out. I have to keep a constant eye on her or else she will got to the bathroom the second my back is turned to her

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
haha i think maverick will never be out of his crate sometimes because he is evil with that peeing or now POOPing when my back is turned. It is as tho now he knows not to pee but pooping is just fine for him...oh well..baby steps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure now with the new one, we have a small bathroom, Chevy goes to bed in about 10.30 at night....and she sleeps there without crying untill atbout 7.30. Now, if I put her in there during the day, she is crying and WONT stop....and poops everywhere....... crazy!!!!!

Bailey, does really well holding, she has been left in the house for 10 hours, when we were both working, now if Billy and I go somewhere together, she will get into the garbage and put it everywhere........ most time she goes with me to the store, or to take and pickup the kids at school.  Now, I dont know how we are going to do this with two....... lord help me....

·
Registered
207 Posts
My question is how do you make the transition? I can leave Hoosier crated for about 8 hours (my work day, though its seldom like that...I usually come home during my lunch). I gave him a small area, but he tore up the floor, trying to dig out I  think. We would love to let him roam and "guard", but how do you get there?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Jon, it's a trust factor...I think I had Samson for about 6 mos, maybe longer and was still crating him due to his issues....One afternoon, I went out with Marq and as I got ready I said to him "I need to crate Samson"..He's the one that said, leave him out and see how he does...We were gone for about 2 hrs & I was soo scared that the house would be destroyed like he had when I first got him..Nope he met us at the door, nub wagging and was just happy to see us...He finally figured out that I was not abondoning him & that I would come back...I also always tell mine when I leave, where I am going and how long I will be gone as well  :) Try real short times first, like, drive around the block, then make your times longer gradually..See how that works

1 - 20 of 36 Posts