Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

how long did it take you to housebreak your boxer puppy?

31K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Kappadappa 
#1 ·
I'm just curious how long it took others to housebreak their puppies? I would expect by about 6 months she will have some basic control over bladder and bowels.

I'm just curious how long it took other's boxers to housebreak and what methods they used (crating, x-pens, etc.). Are boxers stubborn housebreakers, or are they generally pretty easy (or does it depend on the individual dog)?

G
#2 ·
Tank was pretty easy. I used the bell training with him. He has had it down since July. We have a few accidents every now and again but I would say its normal. Its only if someone doesnt let him out or if he had water after a certain time. He is a little over 4 months now. Good luck :)

#3 ·
Joba is almost 4 months and he is getting the hang of it pretty good now. He definitely knows that is wrong to go in the house and good to go in the yard. The only thing he has to get the hang of is letting me know that he has to go out when I'm not paying attention to the door. I'm so proud of him, he has done so well so far.

#4 ·
Allie was easy to housetrain - she had very few accidents in the house and was pretty much completely trained by 4 1/2 months. Maggie (wild child demon dog) has been a challenge. She is 9 months old and I still don't trust her. She is bell trained and hasn't gone in the house for several months now, but............

#5 ·
Flick was an absolute dream..We have a doggie door and he had 2 older siblings to watch, so he mastered the doggie door in 24 hrs, was totally housebroken at 10 wks :) I know that's not normal, I was very lucky..The girls, well that's a whole new ballgame, they were here for 6 wks, I was about 75% on the way to getting them trained, then we had rain for like 5 days straight, all that they learned went out the window :roll: So back to square one and they never did "get it"...I do believe the girls are harder to housebreak tho, least that is what everyone says..It took me close to 5 mos to get an 18 mo old Angel housebroken...Yes, you should figure by 6 mos they should have it pretty much mastered, but even then you can still expect a few "episodes"..All I did was constant praise for when they went outside, no punishment if they go inside, I did keep them confined to the kitchen with an X-pen tho, the 2 times they were allowed some freedom, they immeadiately had an accident. Also try and set a schedule, you can also use a timer to remind you

#6 ·
Barkley was pretty easy to house train (but it did take longer than 10 weeks :lol: ) By 6 mos he was good. Maybe a little earlier with a few accidents every now and then. Now at 20 mos his only problem is that he still wants to chew everything :wall: I wish he would stop that already but......

G
#8 ·
Willow is about 4.5 months (my ticker goes by weeks, I go by day of birth! LOL), and in the last 3 weeks, has only had 3 accidents, so I think we're very close to being "broken". She's out every 2-3 hours and kenneled when I'm not home. I watch her water intake closely, and take it up if she'll be in her kennel for a lengthy period of time (like, if I have to work). No accidents in the kennel since she was 10 weeks old.
Being in a high rise apartment, potty training has been a challenge, but I'm happy to see that she's making some progress!

#9 ·
Izzie is almost 4 months and she is getting the hang of it now. She still has accidents now and then, but has not peed/pooped in her crate in a long time. The hardest part is that she waits by the door sometimes, but does not bark or anything to let us know. I am thinking of trying the bell training now too. Is it easy to do after they are housetrained?

#10 ·
Daisy was a quick one. When we started puppy classes (at 4 months) I was shocked that she was the only one out of 5 dogs that was potty trained.

We basically took her outside every 8 seconds when she was a baby. :lol2:

We were lucky - she caught on to barking at the door fairly quickly. She's had a couple of accidents, but I think those were more our fault than hers.

#13 ·
Belive it or not my opie is 10 weeks and 2 days and hasnt had an accident in the house about a week and a half. He hasnt had any accidents in the crate since the second night he was here. The crate thing he picked up real quick and i can see why. I open the crate to let him out he goes right to the door and once in a while he'll let me no he has to go out by banging the door with his paws that i think are bigger than his body haha Good luck

#14 ·
I'm just curious how long it took others to housebreak their puppies? I would expect by about 6 months she will have some basic control over bladder and bowels. I'm just curious how long it took other's boxers to housebreak and what methods they used (crating, x-pens, etc.). Are boxers stubborn housebreakers, or are they generally pretty easy (or does it depend on the individual dog)?
Mine is 4 months and is barely learning to hold it. He is the slowest learner I have ever owned out of half-dozen puppies.

#17 ·
A lot of this depends on situation. It's much easier to house-train a puppy in a house with a backyard than it is in an apartment building (where I had to take her out the apartment door, down a hallway, wait for an elevator, ride down, walk through the lobby, and finally cross a plaza to get to the curb). Plus, in cities you often need to avoid walking puppies on any sidewalks until they have had all of their vaccinations at around 4 months.

My girl finally learned, but there were many accidents along the way.